Great web site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great web site

If you haven't, check out http://www.sheetmusicarchive.com - it has free public domain editions of public domain classical music for download in .pdf format (maily piano, but some others). It might look a little low-res on your monitor, but if you print it it should look normal. It is still totally readable without printing it, however. They have a lot of great stuff, including tons of Beethoven. All the 32 piano sonatas are there.

------------------
    "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Cool.Ill have to check it out.

------------------
    Lance
    Lance

Comment

Serious students of Beethoven's Sonatas should really only consider the Urtext or Associated Board editions - I don't know where you can get hold of the Schnabel edition (possibly in a 2nd hand book shop), but at all costs do not touch the Schirmer student editions with a barge pole.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This is a great site just to read along in the music while you listen. You don't have to be a pianist and use the music to play from.

------------------
        "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 10-17-2000).]

Comment

I have an edition of the Mozart sonatas which is a Schirmer student edition - It is a disaster ! The editing is appalling and it is certainly not Mozart.
          Urtext is generally regarded as the best available Beethoven edition.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            This is a great site just to read along in the music while you listen. You don't have to be a pianist and use the music to play from.

You changed your message (re. Schirmer) whilst I was replying to it !! I agree with what you say above about the site.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, well, I edited the message because I just figured it out In any case, I don't think that Schirmer is that bad as long as you already have a grasp on how the music should be. I use it as a guide (and there are some really good fingerings, actually). Besides, the only reason I bought that edition is that it was the only one the music store had and I didn't feel like waiting a million years for them to locate another edition

Comment

Working...
              X