Tales of the Unexpected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales of the Unexpected!

Whilst waiting for the considered discussion, that my apparent obsession with authentic performance was allegedly stifling, to begin, I have some true Beethovenian mysteries worthy of Hitchcock that I would like to relate...

Firstly, on the anniversary of Beethoven's death just a few days ago, I was having lunch at my usual cafe. I bought some tea and, having a sweet tooth, proceeded to get a few sachets of sugar to go with it. I stuck my hand in the bowl of sachets and plucked out one without thinking anything of it. However, I looked at the sachet and to my amazement there was Beethoven's face staring up at me printed on the packet! A shiver went down my spine. I grabbed a few more and it soon transpired that a different famous person's face was on each of the bags of sugar. But wasn't it spooky that I picked out one with Beethoven on it on his anniversary! Of course I did not rip the sachet, but took it home. Alas Willy Shakespear and Abe Lincon were decapitated....

Story number two. This relates to an earlier discussion here about how classical music fans are percieved by 'outsiders'. About three weeks ago I was in the office demonstrating the excellent 'iTunes' software with the help of some Beethoven. A nubile young office assistant, who we had recently hired, looked on, then at me rather strangely. She said 'I thought all people who liked classical music were mad!' Whilst saying this she gesticulated in the manner of a frenzied conductor. I gave her a condesending look, but realised that the inference of her remark was that the impression I had given her of myself, up until then, was NOT one of madness. However, I remained silent and though to myself, 'just wait until we go away to our next convention my lady....I'll give you a good seeing to...'. That'll teach her.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-03-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Regarding your first story's unique synchronicity, that sort of occurrence is very meaningful to me. I find I only hear of or actually experience such events when they involve things of important personal nature. I really am curious what these events mean (if anything).

I'm still trying to figure out what the mystery is behind your second anecdote. Are you saying that you're surprised that the new assistant would assume c.m. lovers were "mad" despite the fact you personally gave her no reason to think it? Why would that be a mystery to you? And exactly what will you "teach her"?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:

I'm still trying to figure out what the mystery is behind your second anecdote. Are you saying that you're surprised that the new assistant would assume c.m. lovers were "mad" despite the fact you personally gave her no reason to think it? Why would that be a mystery to you? And exactly what will you "teach her"?
      You find no mystery, yet paradoxically you are compelled to ask so many questions....let your imagination lead you....into the depths of beyond......

------------------

Comment

Good post, Rodders! Obviously your cold has cleared up! Now, remember to take some Beethoven along to your next works convention so that when you give your nubile friend a good seeing to, she can also be enjoying a good listening to!

------------------
        PDG (Peter)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I stuck my hand in the bowl of sachets and plucked out one without thinking anything of it. However, I looked at the sachet and to my amazement there was Beethoven's face staring up at me printed on the packet!
          Some years ago whilst out to dinner, I remember enjoying a glass of Beethoven wine - I have never seen this wine anywhere since, but I kept the bottle and turned it into a lamp!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ooooh, I love it when you English say 'whilst'; it's one of those delicous words that's hardly ever heard out here in the colonies. Rod, do give your nubile friend some good wine whilst you play the Beethoven; she will surely see the light!

Susan (from the land of 'eh')

Comment

For some reason it really freaks me out when English people say "cheers." I don't know why, it just does

I am generally frightened of anything that is not common here in the US, actually One exception - the metric system. I spend all my life in labs and classrooms measuring stuff in cm, and now I have no idea what how much an inch is

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Some years ago whilst out to dinner, I remember enjoying a glass of Beethoven wine - I have never seen this wine anywhere since, but I kept the bottle and turned it into a lamp!
                Lampwick van Beethoven?

------------------
                PDG (Peter)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                  Lampwick van Beethoven?

I should have been as abstemious as Rod with his sugar and not opened the bottle - I've never seen another bottle of 'Beethoven' wine!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
                    Rod, do give your nubile friend some good wine whilst you play the Beethoven; she will surely see the light!

Susan (from the land of 'eh')
                    Alas, I fear the light will not be seen in this particular case. However, the wine will probably play an important role if I am to give her a good 'seeing to'.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Alas, I fear the light will not be seen in this particular case. However, the wine will probably play an important role if I am to give her a good 'seeing to'.
                      Sorry to hear that you rely on outside stimulus, Rod. If you could do with some advice, just let me know.

------------------
                      PDG (Peter)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        Sorry to hear that you rely on outside stimulus, Rod. If you could do with some advice, just let me know.
                        It's not an issue of relying on outside stimulus, it's an issue of speeding up the process by a factor of 10 (at least). Time is of the essence! Music appreciation plays little or no part in this game. From my many years experience of people watching whilst cd shopping, the realm of classical music appreciation seems to be, alas, 85% (at least) male dominated.

------------------

Comment

Great discussion. I think the synchronistic nature of the event you described with the sugar is worth further exploration. Jung would suggest examining the occurance as if it were a dream. Look at the symbols and there meaning to you. Isn't it interesting that LvB is found in a packet of sugar and everything that sugar and sweets imply.
                          A great book on this subject of synchronicity(Acausal connection through meaning) is by Victor Mansfield entitled "Synchronicity, Science and Soul-Making(read as individuation).
                          I would love to have something like that, related to beethoven, happen to me. Whatever it was you are lucky and clearly a chosen prophet of the Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin:
                            Great discussion. I think the synchronistic nature of the event you described with the sugar is worth further exploration. Jung would suggest examining the occurance as if it were a dream. Look at the symbols and there meaning to you. Isn't it interesting that LvB is found in a packet of sugar and everything that sugar and sweets imply.
                            Interesting, how?? What do sugar & sweets imply?

------------------
                            PDG (Peter)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin:

I would love to have something like that, related to beethoven, happen to me. Whatever it was you are lucky and clearly a chosen prophet of the Titan.
                              This thought had occured to myself almost immediately, but being humble I kept quiet on the matter. However, since the subject has been brought up by your good self, I will now agree that my comming across this bag of sugar in a seedy cafe near Liverpool St. Station was Beethoven's way of telling me that I'm on the right track - thumbs up for the Graf!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X