Music for Mourning and Rememberance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music for Mourning and Rememberance!

At this especially important time in the calender for Beethovenians, I thought it appropriate to upload some mp3's of rare Beethoven music related to matters of death.

First there are the 3 Equali for 4 trombones WoO30 (1812), this is real funeral music. The tracks come from an excellent cd 'Beethoven - Complete Music for Winds and Brass Vol.2' by Ottetto Italiano on the Arts Label (Arts 47551-2):
    Equali1.mp3, Equali2.mp3, Equali3.mp3

Then there is the elegaic song 'Sanft wie du lebtest' op112, composed in 1814 for vocal and string quartett (then revised for larger forces) to commemorate the death in childbirth of Eleonore von Pasqualati in 1811. The anonymous words are simple and poignant, and brought what can be considered as the first true '3rd' period work out of the Master:

"Tender as thou lived,
    So thou died,
    Too holy for sorrow!
    No eye can weep
    At the homecomming of a heavenly soul."
    op112.mp3

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-27-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

How thoughtful, Rod, thanks. I don't have any 'funeral' music in my collection, but really wished I had for this occasion. I've only downloaded the first equali so far, what a gem; I have a whole new respect for the trombone. Beautiful. I'll get the rest and listen to them later with headphones and a good glass of red.
    Thanks,
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
      I have a whole new respect for the trombone. Beautiful. I'll get the rest and listen to them later with headphones and a good glass of red.
      Thanks,
      Susan
      More respect still when it is in Beethoven's hands! I think the trombone is THE instrument for mourning and the representation of anything to do with tragedy or doom. I prefer my Tannoy speakers, my neighbours prefer my headphones, I also prefer a glass of cheap German white!

Don't forget to check out op112, it has a ravishingly heartfelt string intro that could be seen as the forerunner to B's late quartet style (as the piece was initially arranged, for string quartet).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-28-2001).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Many thanks for taking the trouble to create these MP3s, Rod. All great stuff. Now, what is that B flat(?) piece that they play at the Cenotaph, each November, for our war dead? It's very moving. Any recommended recordings?

------------------
        PDG (Peter)

Comment

HEY! What about my question?!

------------------
          PDG (Peter)

Comment

Working...
          X