Beethoven & Trombones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven & Trombones

I posted a question a couple of days ago. It's not works using just trombones, but orchestral pieces with trombones in the brass section. I have to create a bibliography of all the such works and the location of the autogragh score. I did one on Mozart's works in minor keys and was able to use a thematic catalogue on the internet. I was wondering if anyone knew of such a site for Beethoven, seeing as you all are Beethoven fanatics!!

Thanks again

XX

Beethoven uses the trombone in only three of the Symphonies. The 5th which uses 3, 2 in the 6th Symphony and 3 in the 9th. They are also used in the Missa Solemnis.
    He does not use them in any of the concertos.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Beethoven uses the trombone in only three of the Symphonies. The 5th which uses 3, 2 in the 6th Symphony and 3 in the 9th. They are also used in the Missa Solemnis.

Add 'Christ on the Mount of Olives'and Fidelio, can't think of others at the moment, have a deadly virus (or rather, a bad cold), but there must be a few more. Not a lot though in total.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks. Dearest Rod,hope your cold gets better. And when it is, can you send me the catalogue number of that cd you mentioned. I sent you an email so you can ignore it now!

Thanks again!
        XX

Comment

Originally posted by Claire W:
          Thanks. Dearest Rod,hope your cold gets better. And when it is, can you send me the catalogue number of that cd you mentioned. I sent you an email so you can ignore it now!
          I read you email, but my crappy beethoven.com email is not functioning properly, yet again (I do not recommend this site for email), so I cannot reply today. Anyway I've already done what you asked and more with my new posting about 'Mourning and Rememberance'. I am a good boy.

------------------

Comment

Doesn't the Violin Concerto also use trombones? And what about Wellington's Victory? Did that have trombones?

BP
            Freedom is Slavery
            Ignorance is Strength
            War is peace

Comment

Originally posted by BP:
              Doesn't the Violin Concerto also use trombones? And what about Wellington's Victory? Did that have trombones?

BP
              No there are no trombones used in the Violin concerto. I'm not certain about 'Wellington's Victory'.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

No there are no trombones used in the Violin concerto. I'm not certain about 'Wellington's Victory'.
                They are more likely to be used in religious and stage works. Last night I listened to 'The Glorious Moment', there are definitely trombones in this piece. It wouldn't surprise me if they were in 'W's V', I'll have a check, often though you can't hear them on recordings even when they are there for sure.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X