• Show
Clear All

Eulogy at Beethoven's Funeral

I was watching the last Inspector Morse
    episode on PBS' Mystery. The Inspector dies
    in this episode. At the conclusion, Diana
    Rigg, the host of Mystery, read a eulogy to
    "Morse" which was quite touching. Supposedly
    it was the eulogy given at Beethoven's funeral. My question is, does anyone know where I can read a copy of it. A lot of
    fans on the Morse website also would like this info. Thank you.

I thought Morse was more a Wagner man! - If you are referring to the oration read by Anschutz and written by Grillparzer, I don't see how they can be one and the same (a puzzle for Morse himself to solve!) - the very opening is 'We who stand here at the grave of the deceased are in a sense the representatives of an entire nation, the whole German people ......'

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Marge Illich:
      I was watching the last Inspector Morse
      episode on PBS' Mystery. The Inspector dies
      in this episode. At the conclusion, Diana
      Rigg, the host of Mystery, read a eulogy to
      "Morse" which was quite touching. Supposedly
      it was the eulogy given at Beethoven's funeral. My question is, does anyone know where I can read a copy of it. A lot of
      fans on the Morse website also would like this info. Thank you.
      I can't believe it would be the Beethoven eulogy, it does not relate to Morse in any way whatsoever. I could empathise with Morse....if only he had better taste in music...

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I saw the final episode of Detective Morse and yes Diana Rigg did say part of Beethoven's eulogy (just a few lines) in regards to Det. Morse. They were trying to make similarities. She referred to Morse and Beethoven both "having white hair, (her words, when I saw a lock of Beethoven's hair, it was mostly brown with just a few streaks of gray), anyway, on to more similarities they were trying to make, Morse being unlucky in love, and being alone most of the time." If you want to read the entire Beethoven's eulogy, check out Thayer's book on The Life of Beethoven, and read the chapter "Franz Grillparzer's Funeral Oration."
        Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 03-28-2001).]
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X