Biggest influences??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest influences??

Just a quickie. Who or what do you all reckon was Beethoven's biggest influence?

Just wondering.

XX

I can't narrow it down to just one. He was influenced by many people.

Composers: Mozart, Bach, and Handel, mostly. Was taught by Haydn and Albreschtberger (?)(once said Cherubini was the greatest living composer).

Writers: Goethe, and wasn't there some guy who wrote nice libretti who Ludwig used to talk to? Shakespeare was a minor influence.

Misc.: the countryside (Rhineland, Heilingstadt, etc) and increasing deafness were key influences for him, as were the ideals of the recently-occurring French Rev.

Comment

Homer's Odyssey and Plato were also big influences.

Comment

As well as both his parents & successful Kapellmeister grandfather. His father's force-feeding of music lessons to young Ludwig MUST have had some bearing on the composer's rebellious streak. And, of course, Ludwig's mother's influence was highly personal (rather than musical) - he described her as "my best friend". Was SHE the Immortal Beloved? Hmmm...........

------------------
        PDG (Peter)

Comment

His teacher C.G.Neefe was also a very important influence - Beethoven wrote to him saying 'Thank you for the counsel you have so often given me in the progress of my God-given art. Should I ever become a great man, you will have contributed to it.....' .Neefe introduced Beethoven to the music of J.S.Bach at a time when Bach was almost forgotten. The sonatas of C.P.E.Bach and Clementi were also a great early influence.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-26-2001).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

We shouldn't forget Ludwig's patrons, who directly or not provided the means to an end. I believe Archduke Rudolf was esp. dear to B.

p.s., the I.B. being his own mom?? To paraphrase Oprah, let us NOT go there...

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
              We shouldn't forget Ludwig's patrons, who directly or not provided the means to an end. I believe Archduke Rudolf was esp. dear to B.

p.s., the I.B. being his own mom?? To paraphrase Oprah, let us NOT go there...

I don't think B felt any great affection for Archduke Rudolph, as he often complained about him and the chore of having him as a pupil. I know he dedicated quite a few important works to him, but I think that was being politically astute - we know B was no admirer of the aristocracy.

Haven't seen Oprah for years as she has been consigned to channel 5 in the UK (only available to a limited audience) - We have the lamentable Ricki inflicted on us instead!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X