New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

I've been monitoring these posts since Friday, and I must say that I have never been more confused. But I am now intrigued by your conversations and will now devote my internet time to this site. I am not a dedicated listener of Beethoven...yet. But I am learning to appreciate his music.

------------------

Originally posted by Tara:
    I've been monitoring these posts since Friday, and I must say that I have never been more confused. But I am now intrigued by your conversations and will now devote my internet time to this site. I am not a dedicated listener of Beethoven...yet. But I am learning to appreciate his music.

It's more like a pub than an internet sight, isn't it? Only the music is better

Comment

And sometimes it can be the libretto
      to an opera, with all the confusion,
      complete with mistaken identities,
      sword duels, posters swooning and singing of unrequited love, nationalist pride and political strife, and naughty children.

Just add fine music, food & drink,(somestimes cigars) and Presto! On with the show. ~

Comment

Welcome aboard, Tara. Yes, most of us are insane (I'm an exception ), but although sometimes the posts are completely unconnected with him, we all do share a great love of Beethoven's music. Which of his pieces are starting to grow on you?

------------------
        Peter (PDG)

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tara - I'm pleased that you've been intrigued enough by the confusion to join our happy band of dedicated Beethoven fanatics!

As PDG says, it would be very nice to hear the pieces that you like and to help with any questions you may have. One thing is for sure - when it comes to recommending performances, we all disagree !

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I am trying to decide now which piece of his I like the most, but at the risk of sounding moronic, I heard "Ode to Joy" in the movie Immortal Beloved and enjoyed it. Very uplifting. I am more interested in HIM at this point. I found this site because I wanted more information, but it seems that all the sites I visited had exactly the same info.

Comment

...I am more interested in HIM at this point. I found this site because I wanted more information, but it seems that all the sites I visited had exactly the same info.
              Well, there's only a finite amount of hard info available in writing, so you're inevitably going to find stuff repeated. The music itself says more about the man, so I suggest you develop this direction. Other than this you have humble establishments like this forum which may, or may not, prove enlightening!

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tara:
                [B]Thank you for your kind words. I am trying to decide now which piece of his I like the most, but at the risk of sounding moronic, I heard "Ode to Joy" in the movie Immortal Beloved and enjoyed it. Very uplifting. I am more interested in HIM at this point. I found this site because I wanted more information, but it seems that all the sites I visited had exactly the same info.

You're right, Tara. B was a fascinating man. You are also correct to look elsewhere for info on B. Their were no facts in "Immortal Beloved".

Comment

This forum is DEFINITELY enlightening. Where is everyone from? And any recommendations you might have as to pieces I should listen to?

Comment

This forum is DEFINITELY enlightening. Where is everyone from? And any recommendations you might have as to pieces I should listen to?
                    I think most of us are from planet earth - at least you didn't ask what is everyone on!
                    Try listening to the 5th piano concerto 'Emperor' - You'll love the beautiful 2nd movement. With the Symphonies I'd start off with no.5 and 6 'Pastoral'. Power,relaxation,drama,serenity - you'll find them all in Beethoven and in the pieces I've suggested. Happy listening!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hey all,

its been awhile since I've posted but I had to help out our new friend Tara with some recommendations.

What Peter suggested are all "must Listen to" pieces, he just left out a boat load of others. First off, the next symphony you should listen to assuming you heard the entire ninth, would be #3 the Eroica.

I would also immediately get a version of the Violin concerto. I came across this work late in my attempts to get all his works, and when I got it, I was just overwhelmed in how good it was.

I would also get a CD of the named piano sonatas, eventually you'll probably want them all, but the named ones can hold you over for awhile, untill you breakdown and just buy all the others.

then theres so much more piano concerto #3, choral fantasia, triple concerto, Missa Solemnis, ALL the symphonies inparticular 3,5,6,7,9 and 1(for suzie)

Just give a handfull of these a try and Im sure you'll be encaptivated by Beethoven like all of us are.

Comment

I agree with all the recommendations. I started out with Symphony No. 9 "Ode to Joy"
                        (particularly the 2nd movement).
                        I first heard this when I was 6 yrs old and
                        was captivated with it, couldn't get enough.
                        Also, any of the Piano Sonatas are worth listening to. Right now I'm hooked on the 4th
                        Symphony.
                        Joy
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Hi Tara,

The major, major Beethoven works are (deep breath...........wait for the melee..........):

Symphonies 3,5,6,7 & 9;
                          String quartets 7,8,11-16;
                          Piano sonatas 8,14,17,21,23,26,28-32;
                          Piano concertos 4 & 5;
                          The Violin Concerto;
                          Piano trios 3,4,6;
                          Violin sonatas 5,9 & 10;
                          Diabelli piano variations;
                          Missa Solemnis (mass);
                          Fidelio (opera).

These works will give you a very sound base on which to build a collection.

------------------
                          Peter (PDG)

Comment

Their were no facts in "Immortal Beloved".
                            [/B]

This is a lie./

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Serge:
                              [B]
                              This is a lie.

Nuh, uh. God, Serge loves that movie! What am I gonna do with you Serge? Buy yourself a 'Thayers'!

Comment

Working...
                              X