Beethoven and Saint Patrick's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Saint Patrick's Day

Happy St. Paddy's Day to everybody. And you must be asking yourselves how could I connect St. Patrick with Ludwig van?
    Well, it's a bit tenuous but one of B's folk-song arrangements was for a tune called "The Pulse of an Irishman", and the words go:

"And darkling confusion
    Like mists from the river
    Shall vanish forever
    And true Irish hearts
    With warm loyalty glow
    And proud exaltation
    Break forth from the nation
    On Patrick's day in the mornin'"

In fact, the tune is known here as "St. Patrick's Day in the Morning".
    And for good measure, my home town of Killarney is mentioned in two songs arranged by the great man. (Smirk!)
    And now excuse me while I get drunk.

Michael

Hey Michael, don't get too drunk. You've already been roped in to pay for the entire evening out for all 114 members (& we all LOVE Guinness ). --- (see `Moonlight sonata` topic) ---

On a less serious (but more sober) note, isn't it odd that when Beethoven was commissioned to write his Scottish & Irish song arrangements, he was sent only the songs' music, & not their words? Okay, you could argue that he shouldn't have needed the words, but I can't believe he wasn't at least a tad curious about them.

------------------
    Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Hey Michael, don't get too drunk. You've already been roped in to pay for the entire evening out for all 114 members (& we all LOVE Guinness ). --- (see `Moonlight sonata` topic) ---
      Make that 113 (see 'Moonlight sonata' topic). Strange have everybody here suddenly appears to be of Irish stock!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X