Is Beethoven addictive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Beethoven addictive?

I've been seriously listening to Beethoven for nearly a year now and it seems to me that there is something about his music that is habit-forming...I mean, I've liked the music of other composers for some time, but never felt compelled to look beyond a favorite work or two.'The Planets', which I enjoy, didn't cause me to become Holst-obssessed. But then I heard the 9th and my ears were opened! I saw the light! First, I went out and got my own copy of the 9th (Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic), and that of course lead me to the other symphonies. But, after a while, that alone wouldn't do so I had to investigate the sonatas, then concertos, overtures, more sonatas...And then, before I know it, I'm checking out websites and message boards...That never happened with Pergolesi...And now I'm constantly trolling around to see what to investigate next....(And I must say this is an excellent location for just such a pasttime!) On the PBS documentary on Beethoven, one professor said his music is addictive. I fear it's too late for me, but others should be made aware!!...Perhaps there should be warning labels on the CDs?
    Are there others out there similarly afflicted? We could form a self-help group...

Hmmm..."Beethovenians Anonymous"?

Comment

If Beethoven is addictive, and it is, then it is a drug we should be encouraging the proliferation of.

Comment

Originally posted by MCS:
        Perhaps there should be warning labels on the CDs?
        Are there others out there similarly afflicted?
        The only warning I'd put on the label would be 'Beware: this music could seriously damage your appreciation of pop - only advisable for those capable of concentrating for more than 30 seconds.' !!

We could form a self-help group...

This is it!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

There can be no doubt that his music is addictive. Maybe we keep going back to it because we hope that the next time we listen the "whole truth" will emerge; but it never does, so back again we go.

Funny, but although I`ve known people to start off liking Mozart or Bach or Rachmaninov (yuk) or other composers, & then gravitate towards Beethoven from them, I`ve never known this situation in reverse. In other words, I can`t even imagine, one day, meeting someone who might say, "Well, I USED to like Beethoven, but now I like Brahms." On the classical appreciation journey, Beethoven is the end of the road.

------------------
          Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:

Funny, but although I`ve known people to start off liking Mozart or Bach or Rachmaninov (yuk) or other composers, & then gravitate towards Beethoven from them, I`ve never known this situation in reverse. In other words, I can`t even imagine, one day, meeting someone who might say, "Well, I USED to like Beethoven, but now I like Brahms." On the classical appreciation journey, Beethoven is the end of the road.

I started off from a Beethoven only position and then discovered other great composers - he was the gateway for me into 'Classical music' and as much as I love and admire many other composers, B still remains at the centre of my affections.

P.S I don't find Rachmaninov yuk! The 2nd Symphony is great stuff , likewise the Paganini variations. The Preludes are also great fun to play. My definition of Yuk would have to be Harrison-Birtwhistle !

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I started out with Beethoven too and he will always be very special for me.
              Have any of you be fortunate enough to visit Beethovenhaus in Bonn? The day I gor there (a Saturday) it closed at noon so I only saw the outside. Next time, I'll be sure to get inside.
              If music be the food of love, then play on....

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwigvan:
                I started out with Beethoven too and he will always be very special for me.
                Have any of you be fortunate enough to visit Beethovenhaus in Bonn? The day I gor there (a Saturday) it closed at noon so I only saw the outside. Next time, I'll be sure to get inside.
                I visited it 20 years ago and I remember having to wait an hour or so for it to open in the afternoon as well! On the same holiday I also visited the Mozart birthplace in Salzburg and quite a few Beethoven sites in Vienna as well - A repeat visit is called for!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Fancy going all that way only to find it closed!!

------------------
                  Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I started off from a Beethoven only position and then discovered other great composers - he was the gateway for me into 'Classical music' and as much as I love and admire many other composers, B still remains at the centre of my affections.
                    P.S I don't find Rachmaninov yuk! The 2nd Symphony is great stuff , likewise the Paganini variations. The Preludes are also great fun to play. My definition of Yuk would have to be Harrison-Birtwhistle !
                    Peter, I meant people who lose interest in one composer, as they move on to another. I`ve yet to meet anyone "into" Beethoven who later lost the addiction.

Re: Rachmaninov. Beethoven is Premier League, Rach is 3rd Division, & Harrison-Birtwhistle (any relation, Peter? ) is GM Vauxhall Conference (no offence to the GMVC).

------------------
                    Peter (PDG)

Comment

There can be no doubt that his music is addictive. Maybe we keep going back to it because we hope that the next time we listen the "whole truth" will emerge; but it never does, so back again we go.

Truer words have not been spoken.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                        [B] The only warning I'd put on the label would be 'Beware: this music could seriously damage your appreciation of pop - only advisable for those capable of concentrating for more than 30 seconds.' !!

Ain't it the truth! My tolerance for my daughter's music is diminishing in direct proportion to my admiration of B....Perhaps after listening to B.'s music, your mind searches for things in pop music that just aren't there?

Comment

Peter, I meant people who lose interest in one composer, as they move on to another. I`ve yet to meet anyone "into" Beethoven who later lost the addiction.

And I agree!

Re: Rachmaninov. Beethoven is Premier League, Rach is 3rd Division, & Harrison-Birtwhistle (any relation, Peter? ) is GM Vauxhall Conference (no offence to the GMVC).

Fortunately not! The Birtwhistle appendage is a completely different strain altogether!

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-04-2001).]
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

To say that Beethoven is addictive is sheer and utter nonsense! I am a Beethoven fan and yet, on Tuesday last, I managed to last three hours without listening to him.

Michael

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:
                              [B]To say that Beethoven is addictive is sheer and utter nonsense! I am a Beethoven fan and yet, on Tuesday last, I managed to last three hours without listening to him.

Michael

You are in total denial, Michael!

Suz

Comment

Working...
                              X