Scherzo and Minuet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scherzo and Minuet

I've just been listening to a recording of Op.18 no.4 and in this work the two middle movements are a Scherzo followed by a Minuet (no slow movement) - Off the top of my head I can't think this occurs anywhere else in Beethoven (or any other composer for that matter) - Anyone else know?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

If you are not specifically referring to the string quartets, Peter, you will find a similar plan in the Piano Sonata, Opus 31 No. 3. The two inner movements are a scherzo (although in two-four time) followed by a minuet.

Michael

Comment

You're right of course - and I've played the work enough times not to have forgotten! -Slap on the wrist! What is interesting is that the Scherzo is usually seen as a development of the minuet, and here B presents them both as individual movements in their own right.
      In the 8th Symphony there is also the Allegretto Scherzando followed by a minuet.
      Beethoven really was amazingly innovative with his middle movements - standard slow movements, funeral marches, short Improvisatory movements, variations and Recitative !

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X