Piano Sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Sonatas

I need help on a question for a Music History course. I need to find out which of Beethoven's piano sonatas was the first to use Variations for the Finale. I've been looking through the scores and I think it might be the Finale in his 5th Sonata (op 10, No. 1), but I can't be sure unless I hear them, and I can't play piano to save my life. If you can help me out, PLEEEAASE reply. Thanks!

For the Finale? I thought is was No. 30 (Op. 109).

Comment

I think Chris is right. Opus 10 No. 1 ends with a sonata-form movement. That means that only two of the piano sonatas end with a variation-form movement, Opus 109 and 111, the third-last and the last. I would have thought there were more than that, but apparently not.

Michael

Comment

On video, I have a performance of op.109 by Vladimir Ashkenazy, and so intense is it that during the variation movement, sweat pours from his forehead, onto the piano keys - it`s a wonder he kept his fingers from slipping. Watching this always makes me think of Clifford Curzon`s dislike of modern plastic keys, to the extent that he would sandpaper them down for extra grip!

------------------
        Peter (PDG)

Comment

#28 Op. 101 has a finale that features an extended variation section in the development, athough it is not strictly speaking a variation piece.
          Muss es sein? Es muss sein!

Comment

Brain fart - for some reason I read "variation" as "fugue" - I guess because I was just listening to it! Op. 101 has a *fugal* finale. Sorry.
            Muss es sein? Es muss sein!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              On video, I have a performance of op.109 by Vladimir Ashkenazy, and so intense is it that during the variation movement, sweat pours from his forehead, onto the piano keys - it`s a wonder he kept his fingers from slipping. Watching this always makes me think of Clifford Curzon`s dislike of modern plastic keys, to the extent that he would sandpaper them down for extra grip!

I recall seeing that Ashkenazy recital on tv a few years back - fine performance. Interesting about Curzon, I don't think I'll try his method on my piano though !

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X