Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Beethoven's Silence" by Ernesto Cortazar

Hey guys,

I've been a member for a while now, but this is my first post. The posts in this board expanded my listening of Beethoven's music-- starting with the Piano Sonatas, and now with his String Quartets. What an experience! Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have heard E. Cortazar's "Beethoven's Silence." It's a piece written and dedicated to, who else but Beethoven. What did you think of it? I have an mp3 somewhere if anybody is interested.

Thanks
    Ed

Perry
    Can you tell us a bit about it? Is it one of those contemplative things of 20 minutes of dead quiet? Or is it really music? I could find it interesting if it is really music, I admit, I have never heard of it though. Welcome to the posting bit though, glad we've made another "lurker" honest!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, it's really music. It's pretty good too, in my opinion. But of course, my taste won't equal yours, or anyone else's in this forum for that matter.

Regards,
      Ed

Comment

Originally posted by PerryBoy:
        Well, it's really music. It's pretty good too, in my opinion. But of course, my taste won't equal yours, or anyone else's in this forum for that matter.

Regards,
        Ed
        Ed,
        You sell yourself short. My taste is barely adequate for breakfast, let alone to tell good music. Heck, I even like stuff from the Romantic But I have looked around for some information on this piece and have not found any, so do give us a bit of an idea about it.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ed
          I welcome you and your ideas. This 'Beethoven silence' are unfamiliar to me, yet just the fact that you propose us with a copy get me to believe it is worth being curious. /// Geratlas sending

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            Ed,
            You sell yourself short. My taste is barely adequate for breakfast, let alone to tell good music. Heck, I even like stuff from the Romantic But I have looked around for some information on this piece and have not found any, so do give us a bit of an idea about it.

Gurn,
            This may satisfy your curiosity, about this short piece of classical contemporary music by Ernesto Cortazar, called 'Beethoven's Silence'
            It is short & sweet but rather repetative, probably more suited for the ring-tone for your mobile phone.
            It is a very difficult piece to find, at least I was unable to find it on MP3.com

I did find a snippet of it here if anyone would like to listen, and share your thoughts.
            http://apricotpie.com/music.html

second piece in the left column.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-23-2004).]
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Hey guys,

I've been a member for a while now, but this is my first post. The posts in this board expanded my listening of Beethoven's music-- starting with the Piano Sonatas, and now with his String Quartets. What an experience! Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have heard E. Cortazar's "Beethoven's Silence." It's a piece written and dedicated to, who else but Beethoven. What did you think of it? I have an mp3 somewhere if anybody is interested.

Thanks
              Ed
              Well, alright taken in its context, I suppose. I didn't feel motivated to listen twice, but then I'm listening now to better music on the mp3 page of this site.

Rod

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                Ed,

Are you trying to imply that if you like romantic music you can't have good taste? I don't think so. I love the Romantics, or at least some of them. But then, maybe I just have bad taste. By the way, is Tchaikovsky considered a Romantic composer?

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
                  Are you trying to imply that if you like romantic music you can't have good taste? I don't think so. I love the Romantics, or at least some of them. But then, maybe I just have bad taste. By the way, is Tchaikovsky considered a Romantic composer?

Is the pope catholic?

As for issues of bad taste, check out the posts regarding bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
                    Is the pope catholic?

As for issues of bad taste, check out the posts regarding bananas.
                    Well, I've always considered him to be a Romantic, but alot of people call him a Nationalist, and even a modern composer. I just read the bananas post.

Comment

Tegan,
                      No, I have no problem at all with Romantics, and particularly Tchaikovsky. I was merely anticipating because there are some people who can't make that statement truthfully, and I thought i might be beseiged. What I DO prefer are the lineage that Brahms is in, which has elements of classicism in it, as opposed to the ones who renounced all that and went off in a new direction. But no, I am an incurable romantic, it is right next to the classical as the second age of great music.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I love Brahms. He is one of my favorite composers. Dvorak is wonderful also. I love the Dvorak piano quintet in A minor, op.81. Schumann's piano concerto is another of my favorite pieces.

Comment

Amalie! Thank you again for yet another beautiful music experience today! (I was listening to the Moonlight Sonata as it is presented on that website, moments ago, thanks to you.) I think that "Beethoven's Silence" would make beautiful background music in a movie, something thoughtful and romantic. I liked it alot, and it was nice to be able to check out other music on that site, too.

[This message has been edited by ILoveLudwig (edited 07-07-2004).]

Comment

Thank you Ed/Perry Boy for calling this to our attention!

Comment

Hi,
                              Yes, I listened to the piano piece a few days ago, I felt it's great piece of music.
                              That's the kind of music I like to listen to, you know. I loved it.

Yet, since I consider myself as amateur keyboard/piano player I was looking for the sheet music for it to play it myself, but I couldn't find it.
                              Do you/or anyone knows where(or how) I can get the sheet music for it?
                              I would truly appreciate your informative response.

Quiet music lover,
                              Isaac

Hey guys,

Thanks
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X