Music didn't died with Beethoven!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music didn't died with Beethoven!!!!

Nothing...just some things I've been hearing these days... (Please add yours or comment these ones) :

Faure's Requiem, Tatum Ergo, Ave Verum and Messe Basse (weird, but good stuff)

R. Strauss: Metamorphosen Study for 23 solo Strings, AV 142

Tchaikovsky: Trio op. 50 (I like this trio more than any other from B! and curiously, T didn't considered himself capable of composing a piano, cello violin trio until this, his only one!). Also from T: Serenade Melancolique for Violin and Orchestra, Op.26 and Souvenir D'un Lieu Cher for Violin & Piano, Op. 42

Dvorak: Poetic tone-pictures for piano, op. 85 (something similar to Schumann's Kinderszenenand) and Serenade for string orch. (Don't remember the op. but it's beautiful!)

Brahms: Intermezzos (Have you heard them? You'll hardly find better music to sleep!) also from Brahms: his Piano Trio No. 1 in B major, Op. 8.

I’ve been also listening Bruckner’s most known symphonies: (4th, 7th, 8th and 9th). But they are giving me way too much more work. Don’t you think Bruckner is sometimes a bit “schizophrenic” on his music? I mean, I like him a lot but one sometimes thinks “what the hell is this guy trying to say?” his moods change so drastically and unpredictably! One sometimes is on a magnificent ecstasy that is suddenly cut-off with none possible explanation! (take for example the first mvt of his 4th) Many times I can’t figure any clear emotion or image (not to mention any “structure”) behind his music. I don’t know... maybe I’ll have to give him more time, or, most likely, I’m having a music overdose these days!!!!

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 02-21-2001).]
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Nor contrary to some did music begin with Beethoven ! I notice your list is all from the Romantic era and perhaps you need an anti-dote after O.D.ing ! - Why not try some earlier music, you'd be surprised for example at just how 'Romantic' some of Handel's Opera arias are - In fact I think his operas contain some of his most glorious music.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

You are certainly right, Peter. My lack of knowledge of Baroque music (not to mention renaissance or earlier m) is pretty embarrassing. In fact, I have no other stuff apart from a few dozens of well-known pieces from Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and a few more. And from my always growing whish list (which by now has more than 2 hundreds of CDs!!!) I have no other thing about baroque music but Rod’s recommendation of Handel’s Theodora, so you’ll help me greatly recommending me more, would you?

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 02-22-2001).]
      Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
      You'll thank me later...

Comment

Well aside from the essentials - Handel's Concerto grossi/Bach's Brandenburg Concertos/Orchestral suites/Mass in B minor/St.Mathew Passion I'd suggest a CD such as Handel Opera arias (Emma Kirkby)on Hyperion (the aria 'V'adoro,pupille from Julius Caesar is particularly wonderful!). Try Scarlatti's Sonatas on Sanctus (Nikolai Demidenko), they are played on Piano (not Harpsichord) and are quite amazing in their variety and originality. You could try some of the Handel oratorios other than Messiah!
        How about Vivaldi - The great choral Masterpieces (including the famous Gloria and Nulla in mundo pax) on Philips. How about Purcell -'A musical celebration' on Erato with John Eliot Gardiner.

That would be a start, but there is so much wonderful early music out there just waiting to be discovered - you should really go further back as well, Monteverdi,Palestrina - Beethoven was particularly fond of Palestrina.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X