Mozart Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart Question

Just for a change of pace, I thought I'd bring up a Mozart question. I've been considering a complete set of Mozart symphonies. Each "complete" set I have found, though, is missing symphonies 2 and 3. (K17 and K18, I think.) The question is...why? According to some sources, the scores are in question, and some even say they were composed by Mozart's father. Still, though, there are recordings of these works. Why never on "complete" sets?

------------------
    "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Well it is a change of pace! - The 2 Symphonies you mention, K.17 and K.18 are not thought to be by Mozart. K.18 in Eb is by C.F.Abel, and K.17 in Bb is rather dubious. Obviously the complete set will only include those works that are fully authenticated.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yeah, I saw references to C.F.Abel while I was looking for info on this, but didn't know how to take that. Thanks.

------------------
      "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Comment

Isn't there a Symphony No. 35 or 36 missing from Mozart's later output? Was it a mistake in numbering or was there an actual symphony which later proved to be by someone else?

Michael

Comment

The Symphony no.37 in G K.444 apart from the slow introduction (which is by Mozart)was written by Michael Haydn - Mozart thought very highly of Michael Haydn and when he fell ill and was unable to complete a commission, Mozart supplied music for him (The Duets K.423, and K.424 are by Mozart, but he wrote them for Michael Haydn to claim as his own).

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X