Creations Hymn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creations Hymn

I received an email today, but am unable to help Julie with her request - if anyone has any information about this work I shall pass it in on to Julie.

Here is her email :

'Dear Peter Harrison
    What an excellent site! Well done. I came upon it while trying to answer a question for my father, which perhaps you may be able to help with. Do you know what is the correct title for the choral work known as 'creations hymn'?. Indeed do you have any recomendations for choral works on CD? Hope you can help
    sincerely Julie'

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Peter, I presume it's a Beethoven work that Julie is referring to? If so, the likeliest suspect is one of the Six "Gellert" Lieder of 1802, the fourth one entitled "The Glory of God in Nature". I believe this was set (not by B) as a hymn and was quite popular in its day, (which was not too long ago). I may be completely wrong about this but I think the word "Creation" was in the title of the hymn version.
    Maybe some of the original text may help identify it. The first verse of Gellert's poem reads:
    "The heavens declare the glory of God,
    Their sound perpetuates his name.
    The earth extols him, the seas sing his praises;
    Hear, O Man, their godlike word!"

Hope this helps but, as I said, I may be completely on the wrong track.

Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael - It really must be quite obscure ! I wasn't sure if it was by Beethoven either as I don't think it's catalogued. I thought at first she meant Haydn's 'Creation' ! - It is definitely a Beethoven work though as I came across a reference to it on another site - it is set for SATB, but no recordings seemed to be available. I will pass on your info as it seems the most likely explanation.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X