Videotape of Beethoven's life--help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videotape of Beethoven's life--help

In a class at a college here in PA. I saw a video tape with a little Mozart then THE LIFEand MUSIC of BEETHOVEN. The prof. said it was used by different universities for the class. Do any of you know what it might have been? The Prof. is no longer there so I can't ask him.
    Also, right before his death, Arrau(my favorite Beethoven pianist) said that after a lifetime of study, he felt most performances take the slower movements of the Piano Concerti much too fast. I can just listen to first several measures in the slow movement of the Emperor and KNOW if he is or is not playing. AXE said of Arrau,"When I grow up, I want to sound like Arrau" Thanks for any help. Also just for fun I wanted to share that we had three generations of our family in that class. My dad,myself, and my daughter!
    Martha

Martha,

There is a title listed at www.buy.com, "Life and Work of Beethoven." At least it's a maybe.

cg

Comment

Originally posted by Martha:
      In a class at a college here in PA. I saw a video tape with a little Mozart then THE LIFEand MUSIC of BEETHOVEN.
      Hi!

I don't know that specific video, but if you want the hands down highest quality produced video series on composers (which of course includes Ludwig Van) than you've got get the BBC Great Composers set -- the finest, most professionally done and EXCITING videos on Classical Music I've ever seen. Too often, video productions are boring and amateurish when it comes CM, even Conrad Fischer's (supposedly lauded series) wasn't very stimulating for my taste, looked like it was shot in the early 70's with student film.

So check out this site for the BBC series and read my review!
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...331516-1857405

Hope it helps you!

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:

BBC Great Composers set -- the finest, most professionally done and EXCITING videos on Classical Music I've ever seen.
        I was fortunate to tape the whole series when it came out a few years ago - I agree Euphony that it was very well done. The Beethoven opens with scientists opening the locket containing Beethoven's hair to the strains of the 2nd movement of the Emperor concerto - it's actually very moving ! My only criticism of the series is that too many other great composers were not included.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          [B My only criticism of the series is that too many other great composers were not included.
          [/B]

Well, the box set does also include Bach (though I too taped it so don't have that one since Bach didn't air here in San Diego), but yeah, it would've been nice to see more composers -- most particularly Berlioz! Now that would've been a hell of a story to tell!

Still, as I mentioned in another post, what I'd really love to see is a more definitive documentary on Beethoven, something with a million-plus dollar budget and at least FOUR HOURS long, if not SIX. Ahhhh...now that would be grand indeed. Please, everybody pray that I become a millionare soon, OK?

Comment

I, too, have seen the BBC Special on The Composers and the two "scientists" at the beginning of the Beethoven segment with the lock of hair are Ira Brillant, a real estate man in Phoenix, AZ and the other man is a Dr. in New Mexico. These two men co-own the lock of hair and it is in a museum in San Jose, Calif. dedicated to Beethoven memorabilia. I had the fortune of taking a trip to San Jose recently and saw the lock of hair along with many original manuscripts, portraits, hand written receipts, etc. A very interesting museum and a must see for any Beethoven fan.
            If you're interested in the rest of this story concerning the lock of hair, read 'Beethoven's Hair" by Russell Martin. A new book that is fascinating and revealing.
            Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X