Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Soloists & Thanks for your video help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Soloists & Thanks for your video help!

I LOVE Claude Arrau (died recently). He made his life a study of Beethoven and wouldn't play modern composers unless he had to. He was the soloist in the old movie "Raphsody" with Eliz.Taylor. (He played the piano parts for Ms.Taylor) Dumb movie good music.
    I read that Arrau felt, near the end of his life that he and others played Beethoven's slow movements too fast!
    This brings me to my next question--my dad liked pianoists who ALWAYS played pieces the same. He loved Serkin who I'm told you could set your watch by when he played say the First Piano Concerto now or five yrs from now it would be within one minute of the same as before. NEVER VARIED.
    I feel there is room for different versions. I can tell Arrau. If you listen to him, listen to the "runs" like in the beginning of the slow movement of the Emperor. He gets a HUGE sound in the first movement without "pounding it out" BUT can get a sound like a caress in the second movement!

For violin (my dict.says violin but I see violyn?)I love Issac Stern! His music is sweet.
    I'd like to hear your comments.

------------------
    Martha
    Martha

Gilels and Richter are two of my favourite Beethoven interpreters, though Paul Komen is excellent on period instruments.

One of my favourite all time pianists is Dinu Lipatti, whose tragic early death was such a loss to music (as was Jacqueline du Pre). Cortot described Lipatti's playing as perfection, and Menuhin said he had never met such a spiritual person. I have a CD of his last recording (made when he was very seriously ill) - it is quite astonishing - his Bach playing is a wonder, and his performance of Mozart's A minor sonata has become legendary.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X