Which work `did it` for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which work `did it` for you?

There is an hypnotic quality to Beethoven`s music. Most people can`t, or won`t see beyond the ends of their noses, but the contributors to this forum, and many other like-minded folk, have been bitten by the Beethoven bug! And it seems to me that once bitten, you stay bitten, forever.

The question is: Which Beethoven work proved to be the catalyst for you? Which piece, above all others, set you on this wonderful, neverending journey of discovery, admiration, enjoyment and fulfillment?

To make it more interesting, how about nominating the 1st non-universally famous work to `grab` you? For me, it was an old, dusty, neglected LP of the Original Piano Variations, op.34. I found this piece to be so marvellously novel, with its shift of key for each successive variation, and so brilliantly tuneful, that even now I prefer it to the Diabelli set.

The Pathetique Sonata... Opus 13

For me it all started when I downloaded a zipped folder that contained a bunch of Beethoven's works in MIDI format. In this folder was the Pathetique sonata, and that sonata would eventually change my outlook on music FOREVER!!!

Best download I ever made in my LIFE.

Comment

For me it was a mono recording of the Pastoral Symphony, played by the Pittsburgh S.O. conducted by William Steinberg, one of a range of cheap re-issues that came out in the mid to late sixties. Before I bought this disc, I had a vague idea that Beethoven was mainly a composer of religious music. (I don't know where that notion came from).
      I still listen to the Steinberg, though my favourite recording is by Karl Bohm and the Vienna Phil.

Michael

Comment

I can't remember the catalyst piece that hooked me; I was too young. I do remember, though, first enjoying non-Beethoven works. Saint-Saens' p.c. #2 comes to mind. After a little while, I discovered Mozart, then Beethoven shortly after (5th symphony, no less), from whom I've hardly ever looked back.

Favorite non-famous work? Choral Fantasy, Triple Concerto.

Comment

The 4th Symphony is what really clued me into the fact that he was something special, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by amadeus:
            The Pathetique Sonata... Opus 13

For me it all started when I downloaded a zipped folder that contained a bunch of Beethoven's works in MIDI format. In this folder was the Pathetique sonata, and that sonata would eventually change my outlook on music FOREVER!!!

Best download I ever made in my LIFE.

That's curious, was that page “The Classical Music MIDI Pages” at: http://www.odyssey.net/subscribers/scior/music.html ?? If so, we have downloaded the same file! Isn’t that great!!!. By that time I was already hearing CM, but not too much of B. (apart from his 5th and the Appassionata both which I’d recorded from the radio!) but after downloading this zipped file I saw the light! And, here too the Pathetique and the Moonlight was the midis that caused me the best impression. Hell, MIDI Rules!!!

PS1) I second Serge about the Choral Fantasy and the Triple concerto and I'll add some WoOs:
            The Equali for trombones in D minor, WoO. 30,
            The variations on Rule Britania, WoO. 79 and on God Save the King, WoO.78 and, of course, his cantata on the death of Joseph II WoO. 87, to name but a few.

PS2: have you heard B's other "Opused" piano fantasia op. 77. It's certainly not B's biggest contribution to piano music but it's not bad at all.

PS3: the name of the midi file was "Beethoven, Ludwig van Op.013 No.8 mov.1 Grave - Allegro di molto e con brio 'Sonata No.8 [Pathetique]' (Wesley Venable).mid"

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 01-24-2001).]
            Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
            You'll thank me later...

Comment

I was hooked very early on. It was the Emperor #5.

Comment

I think the first Beethoven I knew was the 'Grand-mother's minuet' which I learnt to play as a child - The first B record I bought was the 5th coupled with the 4th when I was 12. Then I joined the local library and took out all the B Symphonies (a different one each week ) - and I can still remember the thrill and anticipation of hearing them for the first time.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  I think the first Beethoven I knew was the 'Grand-mother's minuet' which I learnt to play as a child -
                  I presume that's the famous minuet in G? I never heard the "Grandmother" nickname before. Would you believe I was nearly ten years listening to Beethoven before I found out that he had written the minuet in G? It was just one of these things that escaped me for some reason. I knew the tune since I was a toddler but not the composer.

Michael

Comment

I will tell you which work did it for me. I had been playing Beethoven since age 6 or 7...and these are not arranged versions but the REAL things. Fur Elise, followed by the Eccosiaises(Alfreds Introduction to Beethoven's Piano Works). However, The 1st movement of the moonlight sonata was what inspired me to become what I am. I guess the reason why is because there was a girl I was fond of(very much) and that theme I wanted to play with her. And thus, I leanred it. But she never gave me the time of day and went with some jock instead!
                    The 2nd movement the "Emperor" was what made me what to become a concert pianist in my future and later composer. Maybe Ill go to the Vienna Conservatory after HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                      I presume that's the famous minuet in G? I never heard the "Grandmother" nickname before.

It is indeed - I'm not sure of the reference number though - could it be one of the six minuets from WoO.10 of 1796?

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

The question is: Which Beethoven work proved to be the catalyst for you? Which piece, above all others, set you on this wonderful, neverending journey of discovery, admiration, enjoyment and fulfillment?

Gee, isn't that kind of a personal question? OK, the 9th

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                          There is an hypnotic quality to Beethoven`s music. Most people can`t, or won`t see beyond the ends of their noses, but the contributors to this forum, and many other like-minded folk, have been bitten by the Beethoven bug! And it seems to me that once bitten, you stay bitten, forever.

To make it more interesting, how about nominating the 1st non-universally famous work to `grab` you? For me, it was an old, dusty, neglected LP of the Original Piano Variations, op.34. I found this piece to be so marvellously novel, with its shift of key for each successive variation, and so brilliantly tuneful, that even now I prefer it to the Diabelli set.
                          I am still itching the 'bite' after 15 years, but what started it off for me was the most predictable piece of all, the adagio from op27/2, as played by Dudley Moore, an excellent pianist as well as comedian (forget his US movies) who is a fan of B's. Typically I then got the Symphonies, via Karajan's re-release on DG's 'Galeria' series, then the last quartets and so on...

Rod

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:

To make it more interesting, how about nominating the 1st non-universally famous work to `grab` you? For me, it was an old, dusty, neglected LP of the Original Piano Variations, op.34. I found this piece to be so marvellously novel, with its shift of key for each successive variation, and so brilliantly tuneful, that even now I prefer it to the Diabelli set.[/B]
                            I see I misread your message, PDG. I suppose the first non-universally-famous piece that grabbed me was the Choral Fantasia. I can see how you were turned on by the Op. 34 variations - they are high up on my list, too. Funnily enough, I only heard them for the first time a few years back.
                            What is fascinating about the replies so far is that they are all different. I wonder if I had heard some of the other suggested pieces before I came upon the "Pastoral", would I be a Beethoven fanatic today? I hated the "Pathetique Sonata" when I heard it first and it took a couple of years for me to enjoy it, whereas with the "Waldstein" it was love at first hearing. I also had problems with the Fourth Symphony - the only problem now is to try and stop playing it.

Michael

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:

I hated the "Pathetique Sonata" when I heard it first and it took a couple of years for me to enjoy it.

HATED??????? I didn't know that was possible. Who could hate that piece of music?

Comment

Working...
                              X