Something I was never quite sure on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I was never quite sure on...

In the Diabelli Variations, when the theme is presented at the very beginning, is that exactly the way Diabelli wrote it, or did Beethoven arrange it a little differently? I never heard one way or the other. I would assume it is the way Diabelli wrote it, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Originally posted by Chris:
    In the Diabelli Variations, when the theme is presented at the very beginning, is that exactly the way Diabelli wrote it, or did Beethoven arrange it a little differently? I never heard one way or the other. I would assume it is the way Diabelli wrote it, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
    Hey Chris,

You said you`d listen to some Beethoven, & so you did! I do not profess to know the answer; only that the theme is so mind-numbingly mundane that why should Beethoven have bothered to embellish it when he could have saved such mental exertion for one of the variations. Originally, Beethoven was so unenamoured with Diabelli`s theme that he referred to it as a "cobbler`s patch".

Hope you`re OK, Chris.

Comment

The great Beethoven was in no position to look down his nose at Diabelli's theme as he had written a remarkably similar tune himself, with literal sequential phrases involving modulation. It's in the second movement of his very early Piano Trio in E flat, WoO 38. I remember reading somewhere that Diabelli may have subconciously remembered it when he wrote his "cobbler's patch".

Michael

Comment

So far as I remember, the theme was not anything but what Diabelli wrote. One good ting about the theme is that since it IS so simple and sturdy, it provides the perfect base from which to create 33 distinct and utterly original variations. Diabelli's theme was like basic Lego.

Comment

Don't forget also, that originally Diabelli had written to many prominent composers and musicians(including Schubert and the 12 year old Liszt) asking for them to provide just one variation - Beethoven of course got carried away!

Does anyone know if Diabelli ever published his variations by other composers and if so did he include one by Beethoven?

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Does anyone know if Diabelli ever published his variations by other composers and if so did he include one by Beethoven?

The Diabelli variations by other composers have certainly been recorded but I have no details. They do not include any of B's.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-27-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              The Diabelli variations by other composers have certainly been recorded but I have no details. They do not include any of B's.

Michael
              [This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-27-2001).]
              I`d love to hear these `alternative` variations - surely this is a unique occurrence in musical history (?) where so many composers (50) have been requested to work simultaneously blind of one another in supplying such a variation. Does anyone know of any recordings of these efforts?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I`d love to hear these `alternative` variations - surely this is a unique occurrence in musical history (?) where so many composers (50) have been requested to work simultaneously blind of one another in supplying such a variation. Does anyone know of any recordings of these efforts?
                There is a recording with all of the other composers efforts, I've seen it somewhere, but that's all I can say.

Rod

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                X