I was wondering..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering..

I just recently got a Cd of Murray Perahia, and Radu Lupu doing concertos that Mozart wrote for two or three pianos. First off anyone who dosent have this CD I STRONGLY reccommend it. K365 and K608 are quickly becoming some of my favorite works by Mozart. the CD is awesome. and I cant keep it out of the player.

Anyway I was wondering does Beethoven have any pieces that he wrote for multiple pianos. If yes what are they and how are they? If No, Why not? Mozart was obvioussly very successful with them why wouldnt Beethoven have given it a shot.

Hopefully one of you will tell me that he has such a work out there?

Hopefully.

Practically all of Beethoven's keyboard works are for solo piano, except for some organ pieces and a few works for four-hand piano. These last consist of two sets of variations (one on a theme by Count Waldstein), a short two-movement sonata (which has an opening theme not unlike that of the Fifth Symphony!) and three very attractive marches. Lastly - and most interesting of all - is Beethoven's own arrangement of the "Grosse Fugue" for piano duet.
    This was requested by B's publisher to help people study it. The pianist, Anton Halm, was asked to make the arrangement, but B was dissatisfied with the result and decided to do a better one. It makes strange listening, after the familiar quartet version. There are supposed to be some minor differences between the two versions but I haven't been able to pinpoint them by ear. (So far).

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by amadeus:

If No, Why not? Mozart was obvioussly very successful with them why wouldnt Beethoven have given it a shot.

Hopefully one of you will tell me that he has such a work out there?

Hopefully.
      If you want some really great piano duet music, you have to look to Mozart (several sonatas as well as the concertos you mention) and Schubert (Fantasia in Fminor and Grand Duo being 2 supreme examples of his contribution to the genre) - I think Mozart and Schubert both produced duet music for their pupils - I'm surprised that Archduke Rudolph didn't badger Beethoven for some duets!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        If you want some really great piano duet music, you have to look to Mozart (several sonatas as well as the concertos you mention) and Schubert (Fantasia in Fminor and Grand Duo being 2 supreme examples of his contribution to the genre) - I think Mozart and Schubert both produced duet music for their pupils - I'm surprised that Archduke Rudolph didn't badger Beethoven for some duets!
        Because of his natural shyness with women, it is reckoned that Schubert`s prolific output for four-hand piano music was, in part, down to his desire to sit next to girls. Hey, whatever works for you!........Nothing to do with Beethoven, but it is a sweet story!

Comment

Working...
        X