Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ULTIMATE Beethoven concert needs help!

To all B. enthusiasts,

This is a call for help and advice on bringing to life a longtime dream of mine -- a gala-packed, pull-out-all-stops Beethoven concert.

My idea is simple -- to apply the "effects" normally used in Pop music to a Beethoven concert thus appealing to and winning over a whole new generation of fans, effectively ushering Ludwig into the 21st century. In the same vein that Hollywood modernized Shakespeare into films (ex. -- Romeo & Juliet, Richard III, Titus) that introduced the Bard to young people everywhere.

Personally I feel that ultra-conservative pedants have mired the potential growth and success of Classical Music. How long must we hold onto presumed notions of "tradition" and "exclusiveness" which only drives lay-people away? I want to create a concert that will be so visually intoxicating that even people who'd never bother to listen to B. will HAVE to listen. So many people bring misconceptions and prejudice to Classical Music (ex. -- it's "boring", it's "dead", etc.). I want to smash these stereotypes. I want to see Classical Music brought to the mainstream, to be given the universal acceptance it deserves.

For the sake of brevity, let me say that I see a concert that utilizes every bit of modernity available to us: smoke machines, podium dancers (a lot of passages in B symphonies could be easily choreographed to), strobe lights, computer-generated effects, a 40ft wall screen displaying closeups of players and conductor, lasers, and etc....

I'd also want to expand the size of the typical orchestra from 50 odd plays to more than 120. With today's high-level of musicianship and vastly improved instruments, there's no reason not go for more dynamic range (Berlioz was on to something there). After all, everything today is Bigger and Louder than it was in B's time. I'm sure he would have approved.

Let's not forget that B was all for reaching the "masses." Classical music as it is today is simply not reaching those "masses." It's a sham that pseudo-talents like Britney Spears & Marilyn Manson can get world-wide adulation while soul-enriching music is constantly passed over. There's no reason for it to HAVE to be this way.

I also see outfitting orchestral players with fashionably "mod" clothing plus a female conductor with the sex appeal to appeal. If it worked for so many bland pop talents than surely there's nothing wrong with a classically-trained femme fatale? Of course, there'd be no synthesizers or electronic instruments or amplifiers. The Integrity of the sound will remain, only the "effects" surrounding it will be enhanced.

I'd also like an emcee to announce the Italian markings of each movement and the English translation after it thereby "educating" the audience. Applause will be permitted after EVERY movement (just like in B's time!), and there'll be opportunities for individual improvisation and encores (again, just like in B's time!). It might also be great to do the Ninth symphony in ENGLISH.

Ultimately -- and this will no doubt shock "purists" -- I see "groupies" going wild and trying to rush the stage, women throwing lingerie, the whole nine yards! If pop music with all its hollowness can make fans swoon than I see nothing wrong with genuine talent -- like a violin virtuoso -- basking in the limelight. Why shouldn't they get theirs?

Here's a taste of what I envision -- a stunning shower of ethereal light, confetti strewn from the ceiling and an emcee urging the audience to hug one another at the conclusion of B's Ninth; all this while a 40 ft wall screen shows faces from around the world under the banner -- "We Are All One." Basically, it's going to be one Helluva Show.

Frankly, I don't know why nobody has ever thought of presenting classical music in this way, in a "dynamic, appeal to the masses" setting. Being young, I can tell you right now that many teenagers and young adults who'd never otherwise go to a Classical concert would definitely go to something staged in this way.

Why must Classical concert audiences resemble a retirement community? Why can't Classical Music be "dressed up" in the same way that pop music is in order to sell and appeal? Sure, there is also a need for the "austere, traditional" setting, but who will attract the millions of young people who deny themselves needlessly? What about the potential revenue and acceptance?

I've many more ideas on how such a thing could be staged and choreographed, and am currently trying to outline a feasible business plan. Of course I'm not going to kid myself, something like this will potentially cost into the millions. Not to mention the adverstising "blitzkeirg" that will be necessary to make it a success.

One thing that can cut costs is that such a "Beethoven Tour" could use the existing orchestras in each city it tours. Also, some overhead can be reduced by selling Beethoven-related paraphanalia, ex. -- caps, shirts, CDs, books, etc. at each concert.

Once such a concert tour gathers momentum I sincerely believe nothing can stop it. The time is ripe for such a happening. A growing number of people feel that pop music is beginning to burn itself out, rehashing the same tunes, copying one another over and over.

Utter disaffection will only take people so far -- can salvation really be in the form of gangsta rap and Sex Pistols? I think alot of people are secretly dying inside for truly challenging and uplifting music. Let's show them the way out!

To be honest, I've never tried my hand at such promotion so could use all the advise I can get -- how to get started, the practicals, the flat-out feasibility of it all.

I will say that I am not rich, I'm not even marginally well-off to tell you the truth, but this year my love for the maestro took me to Vienna and since visiting his tombstone I felt I should do all I can before calling it quits.

Should I just start writing letters to concert promotors or Philharmonic directors? How can such a thing materialize? Or is this really just a hopeless cause? Is anyone else out there interested in such a venture?

I think you all for your time and for hearing out this plea.

Very Sincerely,
    A Beethoven Lover

Well that's certainly a heart-felt and passionate statement !

There is indeed a huge image problem with classical music - (just take the Vienna Philharmonic and its all male policy as an example). I'm not sure what the answer is though - do we really want to go down the same trashy commercial road of pop ? - isn't it sad that that is necessary ? - can you imagine pop without the videos, without the effects,the electronics,and sung not by sexy guys and girls, but by bald old men without any microphones! I think pop would die tomorrow !
    This is the real problem ; pop is about sex and sex sells.In fact junk is always more popular than quality - just take Mcdonalds. We live in a junk culture that craves more violent films, and seemingly lower and lower standards in just about everything - it seems to me that there is a mass hypnotism whereby peoples' senses are being gradually eroded and numbed - the results are all too plain to see with spiralling crime and attrocities every day.

In Beethoven we have first rate , super-rate music - the greatest music in the world, yet the majority are not interested - how to solve the problem, I really don't know - (education is one way, which is why I've set up this site) but I'm not convinced that your special effects would do it. I am convinced that most people prefer rubbish and there is little that can be done about it - It's a bit like global warming ! I hope I'm wrong but I think the evidence supports me.

To me Beethoven and Classical music are of a spiritual nature , whereas pop is very much on the material plane - with the decline in spiritual values in society, I think there is a real problem that is hard to reconcile.
    I wish you luck with your endeavours and admire your attempts to change things.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 12-04-2000).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:
      To all B. enthusiasts,

This is a call for help and advice on bringing to life a longtime dream of mine -- a gala-packed, pull-out-all-stops Beethoven concert.

My idea is simple -- to apply the "effects" normally used in Pop music to a Beethoven concert thus appealing to and winning over a whole new generation of fans, effectively ushering Ludwig into the 21st century....

To a certain, perhaps large, extent what you are suggesting has already been done. Fat tenors singing popular stuff with no elitist trappings in a park through a PA system with video screens etc..etc. then the CD is released and becomes a best seller. But this is not what I want at all from classical music. Pavarotti et al can shove it as far as I am concerned. I will get all this and more at the AC/DC concert I am going to tonight! With regard to Beethoven alone, the music as performed in the post-war manner makes it sound utterly old-fashioned and utterly drab - old man's music, as I have heard it called, and can't really argue with. Got to a period instrument concert and you won't be worried about big screens, so 'electric' is the sensation! Until this post war legacy has totally died out the element of lameness will still exist in the classical world. All you need are some articulate people with some fire in their bones, and the right instruments. Those who are then still not impressed will never be impressed. I have never worried about converting the masses, but if someone comes here I will tell them something. The truth as it relates to me is that the industry produces a load of crap which will never benefit from my pennies, but replacing it with more misguided crap is not the solution.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Over twenty years ago, (I am dating myself here) I attended a performance at a well known planetarium in New York, where Virgil Fox performed Bach on a full size Pipe Organ.

Throughout the entire performance, there was a light show display, that turned the concert into a audiovisual extravaganza.

Mr. Fox spoke briefly before each piece,
        educating the audience (a multi-aged group) with anecdotes about Bach. He played such soaring giants
        as Toccota & Fugue in D minor and the Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor.

The fact that I can recall this heady experience after so many years in detail
        speaks volumes about it's effect and impact on me.

I too, am turned off by the so called commercial efforts of watching Luciano Pavarotti team up with pop singers and artists,
        those kind of collaborations do absolutely nothing for my senses.

Disney addressed this audiovisual medium with the animated movie "Fantasia", in an attempt to educate children in the classical realm by invoking memorable images and storylines in connection with the music.
        By doing so, I would have to say their effort was a success, and because of this film, untold generations of children recognize the music when heard, as it triggers those visual associations.

I strongly feel that in the case where support for classical music is now in a sad steady decline, that any conceptual approach to attract new audiences is necessary, dare I say mandatory, for it's survival, to ensure exposure to future generations, as well as to support working performers in their art. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ~Leslie:

Disney addressed this audiovisual medium with the animated movie "Fantasia", in an attempt to educate children in the classical realm by invoking memorable images and storylines in connection with the music.
          By doing so, I would have to say their effort was a success, and because of this film, untold generations of children recognize the music when heard, as it triggers those visual associations.

I strongly feel that in the case where support for classical music is now in a sad steady decline, that any conceptual approach to attract new audiences is necessary, dare I say mandatory, for it's survival, to ensure exposure to future generations, as well as to support working performers in their art. ~
          You are right Leslie - Fantasia was a tremendous example of how it can be done - Euphony131 is right also to make the case that something needs to be done, I just feel that to go down the pop road is not the right way - Some 3rd way needs to be found.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Euphony131, I am behind you 100%!! You have described a situation that I've always imagined and hoped for, but figured would never occur. If you are really planning something like this, give me a call: (Canada's overseas code)+ 1-519-760-1770. I am completely serious about this, Euphony; I want to make this happen.

Purists will decry this idea, of course. Classical music derives its identity from the fact it ISN'T pop music in form, ideals, or method of dissemination. It is 'elite' music, and should thus remain.

However, I feel this could be to regressive. C.m.'s reputation needs a facelift. To imagine, as you have, Euphony, a concert that uses the best of what draws pop music fans out (visuals and sexy stars) to reintroduce a sleeping public to a music genre that has survived better than any rock group ever has or ever will, is risky, but refreshingly 'modern'. Having grown up around pop (and yet somehow resisting it) makes me acutely aware of the importance in our society of 'entertainment'. We are indeed a society of entertainment. Adolescents today want nothing more than to look sexy or sharp, read about their peers' crises in their pulp magazines, fantasize about their favorite singers, and get laid. These people are going to be the worst example of narrowmindedness and vapid consumerism we'll ever see. And the sad truth is, if you want to make a difference, you'll need to do it THEIR way or they'll never pay it any mind. Want to make classical music popular again? Popular enough for general interest magazines to talk about it? Popular enough to make it into the Billboard charts? Then maybe, just maybe, Euphony is on the right track.

Classical music is the neglected middle child of the music world. But why? Most people find c.m. too boring to care. Most people don't wish to spend the years it takes to get a good grounding in the vast world of c.m. scholarship. For most people, learning classical music will be like learning a foreign language, and in this multitasking world of ours, who wants to spend the time on it?
            However, make c.m. appealing to short attention spans, and suddenly, you may see many more people realize that:
            -c.m. is exciting to watch. A 100-pc. orchestra in perfect sync, each instrument palying against the other in harmony and in tandem... seeing an orchestra perform is akin to seeing good choreography.
            -c.m. is loud. Choose your pieces properly, and c.m. can be a better rush than a Backstreet Boys concert to a screaming 14-yr. old.
            -c.m. can be sexy. Sad as it is to some, our civilization runs on sex. Sex and sex appeal drives culture, attitudes, and even the economy. To make its mark now, c.m. needs to be in-your-face and it must be slightly sexual. I do not mean G-strings and slutty poses, but I refer to slinky black dresses and tasteful hair. Think Maybelline or Oil of Olay ads. Sophisticated, yet sensual. I would love to see a new image of classical music as sophisticated, yet sexy. Associate c.m. with upwardly-mobile twenty-somethings who wear Calvin Klein or Tommy Hilfiger, drink Starbucks, buy organic vegetables, drive sleek cars with understated sensual lines like mid-range Lexus or Honda Accords, read newspapers, discuss philosophy, speak with pop-culture savvy like the characters do in many of our prime-time viewing options, and who, generally, have their act together.
            By now, some of you may be recoiling in horror at my suggestion that only 'successful' young people are like this. Well, let me assure you that whether or not it is how people really are like, it is what many people ASPIRE to. Our culture has conditioned us to be selective in what we buy, say, or do, and if you want to integrate a 'foreign' concept like c.m. into it, you must abide by the rules.

Hence...

An all-out Beethoven concert must be loud. No room for quiet, introspective works. Not one. You can't afford to let people get bored.
            The concert must have an association. One should be able to go to this and claim it reflects their way of life (to a degree). Brand-name sponsorship will help. A partial dress-code (fashionably casual) will help. A famous or popular bartender will help things along very well during intermission.
            The orchestra should be fairly young in age (think Berliner Phil.) and emanating a sense of vitality. The conductor should be young, attractive, and, if female, appearing as if she'd just come from a Gucci photo shoot. If the show is choreographed, that will help bring the audience out.
            Above all, should this imaginary show occur, it needs to be ADVERTISED properly. This will make or break the concert. Hire a hip, edgy ad agency to come up with a commercial or visual ad that reflects modern young culture in an otherwise stodgy musical genre.
            Then sit back and watch the rebirth of Beethoven unfold before your very eyes!

Okay, so some of this is tongue-in-cheek. Most of this, though, I am certain will be requisite to earn a following among the younger generation (who, of course, we're trying to win over). Euphony, if you're really attempting this, I'd love to help.

Comment

Serge! That's it! Exactly! The Beethoven World Tour has to be a 100% adrenaline show in order to wake up apathetic, C.M. haters
              and eradicate the "boring, decrepit" stereotypes associated with C.M. Boy, oh boy! Are we like speaking the same language or what!?

I will call you. BTW, I sent you an email with my phone #, my own email address is kim001@mail.com. I look forward to speaking with you and I really hope there might be some way to make all this a reality.

Comment

Even if you make this happen, what then? You have gotten people to attend based on sex and other such nonsense. That may be fine, but that's why they came, not for the music. To assume that they will like the music once they have been exposed to it does not follow. They aren't liking the music. I think the only way for people to really get interested in classical music is to expose them to it at a young age. Music in schools, and all that. I don't think there is a quick fix for this. Well, good luck anyway!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 12-05-2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                  Want to make classical music popular again? Popular enough for general interest magazines to talk about it? Popular enough to make it into the Billboard charts? Then maybe, just maybe, Euphony is on the right track.

An all-out Beethoven concert must be loud. No room for quiet, introspective works. Not one. You can't afford to let people get bored.
                  I'm sorry I disagree - I think you are attempting the impossible - it would be like turning a beautiful valley into a theme park or Vienna into Ibiza - yes you may attract more people - but as Chris says they would not be coming for the music . It would be a novelty that young people would very soon tire of - just as they tire of pop stars after a few hits.
                  You already have Classical musicians trying to present a more glamorous image - e.g Vanessa Mae and quite a few opera stars.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                    It would be a novelty that young people would very soon tire of - just as they tire of pop stars after a few hits.

[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying and appreciate everyone's feedback.

Still, one doesn't know what will happen till it happens. After all, pop music stars come and go because their music was never substantial to begin with; all things superficial can only be ephemeral in the long-run -- I think we'd all agree on that.

But this is BEETHOVEN'S music that's going to be put on center-stage and that alone I feel can make a LASTING difference. Yes, the young people will INITIALLY come for the novelty of it, but I think once they take the music into their hearts we might just see a "rebirth" of Classical Music. Perhaps they'll shake their heads in awe and wonder, "Where's this music been all my life?"

Understand that the "effects" and "choregraphy" and etc. are only there to help dispel the prejudices and misconceptions of young people, to aid them in opening their minds and giving the music a chance. I think once they give it that chance, they just might see the world in a different light....

Growing up as a Beethoven lover, I can tell you that most of my adolescent peers seem to hate Classical Music only out of spite, without giving it an honest listen. They seem always to fall victim to Peer-Pressure and the influences of Mass Media, MTV, etc. Thus they can't/won't bother to listen, REALLY listen to Classical Music.

It's analogous to a racist who has this distorted idea of a certain ethnic group as being all "criminals" so even if he meets the most humane and kind member of that race he can not stop thinking negatively about that person. So it is that many people can not listen to C.M. without some residual, misconceived "hatred" or more specifically that the music is only for "pansies," and "nerds."

This is my basis for the most "Awesome," "Intoxicating" Beethoven concert -- it can make the idea of listening to C.M. as something "hip," "cool," and dare I say -- "acceptable?" Only in this way I think will we ever touch the masses, make them lower their resistance and give the music a chance. They must first be convinced that the music is not "decrepit" and "boring." That it can be as exciting -- even more exciting -- than any drab, rehashed pop tune.

Well, looks like me and Serge are going to try and knock out a plan for all this. I invite anyone who wants to join us, we could use all the help we can! In the interim, I hope more people will voice their thoughts. And I'll look forward to hearing more from both you and Chris.

Bye for now...

Comment

BTW, I also wanted to add an outdoor concert concept I attended several years in a row in Riverfront Park, in Spokane, Washington. It consisted of Handel's Water Musik and Royal Fireworks, and featured ......fireworks.

However, the catch 22 was that it was free, and this attracted a hodgepodge of ppl, from loud swearing thugs on skateboards who detracted from the ambiance, to ppl with strollers, listening politely while sitting on blankets and in chairs.
                      Quite a contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                        Even if you make this happen, what then? You have gotten people to attend based on sex and other such nonsense. That may be fine, but that's why they came, not for the music. To assume that they will like the music once they have been exposed to it does not follow. They aren't liking the music. I think the only way for people to really get interested in classical music is to expose them to it at a young age. Music in schools, and all that. I don't think there is a quick fix for this. Well, good luck anyway!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 12-05-2000).]

I think Chris is right. Much as we would like it to be otherwise, there is no easy way into classical music, unless you are fortunate enough to have been exposed to it at a very early age.
                        All sorts of gimmicks have been tried down through the years. Back in 1970, pop versions of the "Ode to Joy" and Mozart's 40th became big hits and I became convinced that this was the big breakthrough but nope! Gary Glitter and Co. made a much bigger impression on the "music" world.
                        A few orchestras have tried the informal approach in the past ten years or so but their efforts came to naught. The problem is that, behind all the fireworks and the fancy clothes, you have to listen to the music, you have to give time to the music - and time and attention are becoming scarce commodities in today's world.
                        I consider myself very lucky to have been introduced to Beethoven as long ago as 1968, when all I had in the way of distraction was a telly with one channel. I put the Pastoral Symphony on my Dansette - and my reaction was immediate! I had never heard such boring, repetitious crap in my whole life. Vast stretches of the first movement seemed to go "dump-diddlee-ump-bump" ad nauseum. But I had enough sense to give the music a fair try - so I kept it going in the background while I read. A month later, I was running around raving about this promising new composer I had discovered. I then rushed out and bought the "Eroica" and got a hell of a shock. Was this the same guy? Patience again prevailed and I eventually realised that Beethoven is not one composer but ten!
                        I'm going off the point a bit, but I'll just say again: You have to listen - and listen. Even if, at first, you actively dislike what you are hearing - give it a second or a third chance.
                        When I say "you" I am not preaching to any contributors to this forum, who have much better ears than I have, but to the multitude who are scared of this music. But what's the point? They will not be logging onto this website anyway.

Michael

Comment

My fervor over Euphony's idea is being well-tempered by more "rational" qualms. To be objective as possible, it is likely this project will never get off the ground. It is a very brash idea to be sure, but it could very well work as well. I'm still quite young, and I still try to look at the world with optimistic eyes.
                          There have indeed been various attempts over the past few years to introduce a sort of pop mentality into c.m., whether thru crossover recordings, dolled-up soloists, or use of c.m. in popular media (movies and tv). These attempts rate with varying success, but it is still clear there is no evident shift in the age or composition in the c.m. demographic. When I go into HMV in Toronto where the whole third floor is nothing but classical and some jazz, I am virtually assured I'll be the only 21-yr. old there. People the age of my parents are always in there, but hardly anyone younger than they. C.m. is still alive among them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the status of c.m. fall to levels equivalent to a cult or extremely narrow group in the future once these people retire or die-- much in the same way all the talk here in Canada of Quebec seceding will eventually die down once all the old separatists retire and give up the ghost.

None of us should be irrational about the idea of Beethoven kickstarting his popularity among the youthful conspicuously-savvy demographic (as marketers see them). It'll be a very hard task to accomplish, and it is likely that once this 'tour' is over, there will be nothing left but some fond memories, large debts owing, and a c.m. public with hardly any more converts.

Or... it is possible that such a tour would start some sort of dialogue among the adolescents of the world who say that while they don't actively listen to c.m. they don't mind hearing it whenever it comes around. I sometimes get the idea that c.m. is tolerable to many younger people even though they'd never actively pursue it as a hobby or fascination. Perhaps a Beethoven tour would ignite a passion for c.m. Perhaps not.

No matter what we suppose here, of course, there is no doubt Beethoven lovers could stand to include a few more among their ranks. If such a flamboyant production like Euphony's isn't feasible to draw some quick support to c.m., what would be? I don't really want to wait for generations to pass before c.m. enjoys a rebirth.

I'll divert a little to say here that there are the few ever-hopeful signs that slow change may be in the works: soloists who project a more 'sexual' appeal, concerts and recordings that get sponsored by outside businesses, crossover artists like Charlotte Church, Chick Corea, and Sarah Brightman who draw people into c.m. from the fringes of what is actually considered c.m, and thoughtful endeavors in packaging and presenting c.m.

On this last point, you may know I am very fond of Sony Classical at the moment. They don't put out a very large number of "classical" recordings (preferring to focus on soundtracks and crossover, it seems), but every album that has come out under their label in the past three years has been sumptuously recorded and presented with beautiful full-color photography, refreshingly-different poses and portraits for the soloists and informed info in the liner notes. As a designer-in-training, I find that sort of effort extremely gratifying. When you look at a CD by Sony Classical, you do see quality. In a world where sizzle will often sell the steak, Sony is doing things very well. I hope they keep it up.

Of course, all these above 'advancements' rely on the operative word "slow". Fundamental change is a slow go, usually, yet the hope that there is actually a substantial part of the population out there who harbors innate appreciation for the sound of Beethoven is what keeps me excited about Euphony's idea. There has never been a poll done about the level of enjoyment of c.m. among youth. We may well be sitting on a powderkeg of c.m. appreciation waiting to explode because young people don't yet know how c.m. could be presented to the world!

The cheapening of c.m. thanks to the Beethoven tour as suggested by respondents here is very valid. To associate c.m. with people like Madonna or Britney.. perish the thought! Concerts by Madonna may be seen as some as concerts performed by a slut, but such imagery is often due to the actions of the star outside of the music (e.g., M.'s latest kid was thanks to her personal trainer). But I'd say hardly anyone thinks Celine Dion is a trashy star. Her concerts are sophisticated (so I hear) and she is the model of class and sensuousness.
                          Since no one will assume much of Beethoven before this tour occurs, most people should ideally be receptive to the idea that B. can be fun. Most young people, whether they'll admit it or not, are amazingly-easily led by what they see. If they see Beethoven performed by young, attractive people among enticing visuals, they may well want to emulate them. New stars could be born. People who play instruments may start thinking of themselves in a whole new light. An entire new kind of fan base may grow. And anyone who secretly enjoyed c.m. but didn't tell anyone may have the 'courage' to come out with it and display it proudly. Unless we try, we'll never know, right? I think it's worth consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

I put the Pastoral Symphony on my Dansette - and my reaction was immediate! I had never heard such boring, repetitious crap in my whole life. Vast stretches of the first movement seemed to go "dump-diddlee-ump-bump" ad nauseum.

This is interesting, for I, after 15 years of listening to various renditions of the 'Pastoral' regard most of these renditions as "dump-diddlee-ump-bump" music, so lame and uninspired is their inspiration!!

Rod

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                              If they see Beethoven performed by young, attractive people among enticing visuals, they may well want to emulate them. New stars could be born. People who play instruments may start thinking of themselves in a whole new light. An entire new kind of fan base may grow. And anyone who secretly enjoyed c.m. but didn't tell anyone may have the 'courage' to come out with it and display it proudly. Unless we try, we'll never know, right? I think it's worth consideration.
                              I think this is the point - what needs changing is the image - most young people think of c.m as music for the old - We live in a televisual age and performers need to cotton on to this fact - most come across as dreary politicians - change this and I think you'll make an impact.Unfortunately a lot of performers don't actually look as though they are enjoying themselves, and I hate to say it, but a lot of them do look damn weird ! No need to go down the ghastly trashy pop road - just get some better looking,younger performers for tv work - it doesn't matter what they look like in a recording studio!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X