Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keurtzer's Victims -- Beethoven & Berlioz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keurtzer's Victims -- Beethoven & Berlioz?

The Hatchet-man cometh twice?...

I've started reading David Cairn's monumental bio on Berlioz, Vol. 1 and it names one Rudolphe Keurtzer(French violinist & composer) as a man in control of Paris Opera and who helped symie Berlioz's career by refusing to perform any of his works.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same R. Keurtzer who turned his back to the violin sonata Beethoven dedicated to him? Keurtzer was noted to have thought the violin sonata (which ironically now has his name) as "wildly unintelligible" and NEVER performed it.

It is the same Rudolphe Keurtzer -- yes?

Personally I'd like to see the violin sonata's "name" changed to the "Bridgetower," since it was originally intended for him. At least Bridgetower appreciated B's music even if they had some kind of falling out. Surely B. would've forgiven Bridgetower by now for whatever happened!

I'm think B., in retrospect, would be very upset that Keurtzer ended up getting lasting and undue fame. Keurtzer shouldn't be remembered for anything except for being a thorn in the side of Greatness.

Yes they are one and the same.

Despite writing 40 Operas, 19 Violin concertos and much chamber music, Kreutzer owes his fame to Beethoven's Op.47.
    He did however write the Etudes ou caprices for solo violin which are still in the repertoire.
    I'm not sure about changing the dedication now - after all Beethoven had over 20 years in which to do it.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X