Piano Concerto Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto Question

Has anyone ever heard a set of the piano concertos with each one being played on a different piano to reflect more exactly what Beethoven wrote it for? I know there's at least one out there.

------------------
    "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Well I've never heard of it ! - It seems rather odd - The piano Concertos span a period of 14 years (excepting WoO.4 from 1784), so do you mean 5 different pianos from this period are used ? If you mean that different modern pianos are used, I suppose there could be a case for that. Interesting to know what piano you would use for each concerto - Perhaps different pianos should be used for different movements as well !
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

No, they were fortepianos. I heard about a set like this from a friend of mine, who is a big period instrument fan. He said he wasn't sure, but the continuo parts that are never played might be in there. If nobody knows, I'll ask him and report back

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        Has anyone ever heard a set of the piano concertos with each one being played on a different piano to reflect more exactly what Beethoven wrote it for? I know there's at least one out there.

As you'd expect, I perhaps have the set in question, with Steven Lubin playing 4 different fortepianos (on L'Oiseau Lyre label). I can only really recomend no3 (? piano) and no5 (Graf piano) from this set. For a first class no4 check out Paul Badura-Skoda (Graf piano) with the on Deutche Harmonia Mundi (with the Trio Concerto). For no's 1 & 2 try Jos van Immerseel (Walter piano) and Tafelmusik on Sony label.

Rod

http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

That might be it, but I'm not sure.

------------------

Comment

The recording by John Eliot Gardiner and Robert Levin takes this approach. Levin used 4 different pianofortes corresponding with the type used in the first performance of each concerto. Obviously, they used period instruments and the reviews I have read have been favorable.

Comment

I'm particularly curious about the 'Emperor' concerto recording on period instruments - how does the Graf cope with the powerful octave passage in the 1st movement ? Was a Graf used at the first performance in Leipzig ?

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I'm particularly curious about the 'Emperor' concerto recording on period instruments - how does the Graf cope with the powerful octave passage in the 1st movement ? Was a Graf used at the first performance in Leipzig ?

I don't think we know what instrument was used at the premiere, I'd like to know this myself. But it was not a Graf I'm pretty sure. The instrument in the recording I mention is a (good) copy of an 1820 Graf, which does a credible job of the octaves. I don't think B would have wrote a piano piece designed for public performance unless he thought it was realisable using at least the very best instruments of the day. The many fortepiano (5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5 octave instruments, mainly Viennese action) CD's I have prove this to be the case, on recordings at least.

Rod

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I don't think we know what instrument was used at the premiere, I'd like to know this myself. But it was not a Graf I'm pretty sure. The instrument in the recording I mention is a (good) copy of an 1820 Graf, which does a credible job of the octaves. I don't think B would have wrote a piano piece designed for public performance unless he thought it was realisable using at least the very best instruments of the day. The many fortepiano (5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5 octave instruments, mainly Viennese action) CD's I have prove this to be the case, on recordings at least.

Rod

Rod

Comment

Working...
                  X