Hello from new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from new member

I was attracted to this site by a discussion of the use of the theme from the choral fantasy in one of the lieder. Lied WoO 118. Actually I guess the other way around. But I am familiar with the choral fantasy and not familiar with the lied, so as soon as I heard the lied (old Fischer Dieskau recording, reissued) I recognized the melody.

Found the page on a google search.

http://www.gyrix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2297

Since discovering the site I have briefly followed some old, closed threads and find them fascinating. I like the quizes: what is this piece of music, but the links are all dead.

I also see links to mp3's to a site www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html
    but that site is dead too. Is there a successor site to these, or have these disappeared?

When I learn more about this site and have explored it some more, I will call attention to another re-used theme, which I have searched the web to see if anyone has previously called attention to, but have thus far searched in vain. This group seems very knowledgable and will, I am confident from my perusings thus far, be able to point me to prior discussion.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in these discussions.

Phil

Welcome to these Boards, Philemon.
    We hope you'll enjoy it all, the Beethoven as well as the other "stuff".

Comment

Welcome, Phil.

Originally posted by philemon View Post
      I also see links to mp3's to a site www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html
      but that site is dead too. Is there a successor site to these, or have these disappeared?
      Yes, that was something we did a long time ago. The point was not to freely distribute music, but to make people familiar with rare pieces of Beethoven's that they might otherwise never have been aware of. Each mp3 was available for only one week.

Comment

Welcome, Philemon! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Comment

Hello Roehre, Chris, Sorrano, thanks for your words of welcome and also explanations about dead links.

I think I have recordings of almost all of Beethoven's works; there is also an Unheard Beethoven site that has many of the less common works as midis

http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/

which you probably know about.

I have been going through a beethoven year for just over a year now. In my car I have been listening only to beethoven. This is my commute to work and occasional longer trips. It all started on a trip from Long Island to Maine last summer. My habit is to listen to a CD several times around. The music picks up where it left off but I find that I am listening with new ears when I come in on the middle of a movement and my head is trying to come to grips with what it is hearing.

I also find that on multiple plays of the same piece of music, same recording, I hear different things, e.g., middle voices in quartets, that I hadn't paid attention to the previous time around. Then after a few weeks I play the same CD again and hear still new things or recognize what may be obvious to many but is new to me such as such and such phrase being an inversion of a previous phrase.

I also have discovered, as I alluded to earlier, themes that Beethoven had used in an early work which he used again (in all instances with much more exciting development) in more familiar later works. I have not seen any reference to two such instances on the web or in readily available reference works: Thayer, Lockwood, Rosen, Kolodin; I need to check Grove. In any event I will share these here if there is interest. Maybe someone here can point me to the fact that my discoveries aren't new after all.

I expect that my beethoven year will continue for at least another year, as there is still so much I am discovering.

Phil

Comment

Greetings from Beethoven's Heiligenstadt, Phil. Welcome to the forum.
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by philemon View Post

I also have discovered, as I alluded to earlier, themes that Beethoven had used in an early work which he used again (in all instances with much more exciting development) in more familiar later works. I have not seen any reference to two such instances on the web or in readily available reference works: Thayer, Lockwood, Rosen, Kolodin; I need to check Grove. In any event I will share these here if there is interest. Maybe someone here can point me to the fact that my discoveries aren't new after all.

I expect that my beethoven year will continue for at least another year, as there is still so much I am discovering.

Phil
              Yes welcome to the forum Phil - an example that comes to mind is the Eroica variations, the music from Prometheus and the Eroica symphony. Interesting to hear your examples, but I think the main forum is the place so you could start a new thread on that there if you like.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hail and well-met.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                X