The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
yolhanson

9th. I get it now.

Hi, all.
A couple of years ago I posted that I was struggling with the 9th Symphony. It seemed to be a rambling thing in search of a home.

Well, the penny has dropped.

Now I love it. Absolutely love it. I look forward to coming home and playing it. I bought the score and have pencil marks all over it.

I think the first movt. is majestic; the second, just a pure delight from start to finish; the third, among the most beautiful music I have heard; the fourth... well, "inspired" doesn't do it justice. It is difficult to offer a valid comment on something that was so unconventional, yet done so well.

The only niggle I have is the lower bass work at the start of movt.4. I just don't like it very much.
I do like the recurring themes from earlier in the work, mingled with the bass work.

As I type this, I'm listening to Barenboim's 2012 job at the Proms. It's good. Big, but very good.
yolhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Harvey

Fantastic. You can get a CD-ROM of it (cheap used) that has the score running across your screen as you play it. I have it but never played it because CD-ROM won't play on my computer because I am using a Linux operating system. Image Here.

Apart from that, for an audio recording, I don't think there is a finer recording than Ferenc Fricsay late 1950s Ninth. I have several dozen or more Ninths and Fricsay is my favorite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: