Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hymne du Panthéon - Cherubini

Dear all,

Best wishes for 2017, may it be filled with Beethoven's delights !

I am trying to find a recorded version of Cherubini's Hymne du Panthéon, which, it is claimed, has been used by our dear Ludwig for his 5th Symphony. Scores, yes, I can find those, but no recorded version so far.

Also am wondering whether his Hymne à la Victoire may be the same thing, but I don't recognise anything 5th-like in there, when hearing it.

Thanks for any help...

Albert
    PS: the Michael Zimmer thread in google groups on this topic does not get me any further either, in case you want to send me this link....

Sorry to hear you're still having no luck in locating this. Why not grab the bull by the horns and try to contact Sir John Eliot Gardiner directly about this? I think this may be possible at this site: http://intermusica.co.uk/artist/Sir-John-Eliot-Gardiner
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I just listened to the hymn on Spotify, but couldn't find any similiarities with Beethoven's 5th, actually it was quite boring and weak in the instrumentation - no comparison to some of his great overtures and the outstanding 2 Requiems.

I listened also to the Hymne a la Victoire, which is a little better ...

Gerd

Comment

Thank you, Peter, I've just contacted that address.... let's see what happens.

A Happy New Year to all (Beethoven fans and others)

Comment

Dear Albert,

do you have any news? Actually im also looking for the part in Cherubinis Hymne, where the famous motive is cited. But I also didn't hear something fitting.
          I know that it should be at the spot where the choir in the original language sings "Nous jurons tous, le fer en main".
          Meanwhile there are some versions of Cherubinis Hymne au Panthéon uploaded on YouTube. But i still didn't arrive. Could you may help?

Thanks a lot!
          Last edited by Lee; 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Hey all,

if someone is still interested, I found the part, which could might have been a model for Beethoven.

Listen to this at 7.35:
            https://youtu.be/BXWyeHnw2y0?t=7m34s

Greetings!

Comment

Very convincing, Lee! I think you've nailed it.

Comment

Concerning the structure of Symf. 5 part 1, the comparison with Clementi's Sonata op. 34/2, allegro con fuoco, baffles me more: an extremely banal theme put to work in a very economical way: music stripped of any frivolities.
                Clementi's Sonata was composed more than a decade before Beethoven's symphony. To paraphrase Picasso: Beethoven was a great thief.
                https://youtu.be/XJ7PllAgnZw?t=55s

Comment

Thanks, Lee !!!! Finally.
                  I never got a response from Gardiner....

Comment

Working...
                  X