Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rare appearance for me here, my hearing being what it now is. Searching for interesting videos of various sorts at YouTube I noticed a link entitled "Brazilian pianist, Eliane Rodrigues, LITERALLY taking the performance below the stage!" The title and thumbnail of the rather attractive performer who, so far as I know, I'd not heard of before, intrigued me enough to follow the link. The lady is a real trooper in how she copes with the discovery of a faulty piano at the beginning of a concert recital. I got a big kick out of it. What's more, I enjoyed her playing so much I decided to search out other of her filmed performances. I've only just begun that journey, but already unearthed Ms. Rodrigues performing one of her own compositions, Da "Momentos Musicais." I quite like it.

Comment

Been listening to a bit of Dowland, thanks to Quijote.

Also, Messiaen: Eclairs Sur L'au-dela... and Quatuor pour la fin du temps

Any Messiaen fans out there?

Comment

"The Battle of Prague" by Frantisek Kotzwara.
        Frantisek who?
        I am merely listening out of curiosity because this gentleman has been described as the worst classical composer of all time. (Actually he sounds like one of the younger Bachs on a bad day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CJRaj_gvo

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          "The Battle of Prague" by Frantisek Kotzwara.
          Frantisek who?
          I am merely listening out of curiosity because this gentleman has been described as the worst classical composer of all time. (Actually he sounds like one of the younger Bachs on a bad day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3CJRaj_gvo
          Did you check out his manner of demise? It wasn't from listening to this piece, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Did you check out his manner of demise? It wasn't from listening to this piece, either.
            I didn't, Sorrano, but thanks for alerting me. (I think.)

Ugh! Even if he was "the world's worst composer".

Comment

Beethoven's String Quartet Opus 18 No. 1 (Original "Amenda" version).

Beethoven famously told his friend Amenda not to show his copy to anyone as B had substantially revised it having, in his own words, "just learned how to write string quartets."

However, I find the original version has its own charms. It does lack some forward momentum in the development section of the first movement where Beethoven's engine cuts out here and there and he has to restart, but maybe I'm only looking for faults and I wouldn't rely too much on my musical knowledge!
              Most of the other "improvements" are quite subtle. Still, the more I hear this version, the more it occurs to me that if Beethoven had left it like that we might have been none the wiser and quite happy.

He was always revising up to the last minute. Who knows what he would have done with other works if he was left alone in the room with them and if they hadn't been published and paid for. We might think his greatest works need no improvement but we're not Beethoven.

Comment

I had similar thoughts upon first hearing the "Amenda" version of Op. 18 No. 1, Michael. I love that we have access to this and other earlier/alternate works of Beethoven and other composers. It gives a fascinating peak into their creative processes.

Comment

Viadana - Exsultate justi

I'm looking for something for my schola cantorum to sing for All Saints Day, and this is a wonderful piece. Probably not enough time for us to pull this together by then, but maybe next year...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I had similar thoughts upon first hearing the "Amenda" version of Op. 18 No. 1, Michael. I love that we have access to this and other earlier/alternate works of Beethoven and other composers. It gives a fascinating peak into their creative processes.
                    The "Leonora/Fidelio" saga is particularly interesting. I have two versions of the Leonoras which are substantially different but I get bogged down between the 1805 and the 1806 ones, particularly as there are disagreements among experts as to what was actually performed back then.
                    It's still fascinating to compare them with the "finished" item. Who knows what he would have done if he had one more go at it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      The "Leonora/Fidelio" saga is particularly interesting. I have two versions of the Leonoras which are substantially different but I get bogged down between the 1805 and the 1806 ones, particularly as there are disagreements among experts as to what was actually performed back then.
                      It's still fascinating to compare them with the "finished" item. Who knows what he would have done if he had one more go at it?
                      Yes, I have the 1805 version conducted by Blomstedt and the 1806 version conducted by Soustrot, and I love both of these recordings. The final version is the best I think, in terms of the whole opera, but I do love the music that was cut from the earlier versions (and not just the overtures).

Comment

An die ferne Geliebte, Brendel & Goerne
                        Christus am Ölberge, Placido Domingo, Deutsches Symphonie Orchester Berlin and Kent Nagano
                        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

I am listening to Anna Bolena featuring Joan Sutherland as Anna and conducted by Bonynge.
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Mozart - Symphony No. 38

I was stuck in traffic this morning, and this made the wait rather enjoyable!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Mozart - Symphony No. 38

I was stuck in traffic this morning, and this made the wait rather enjoyable!
                              Did you miss the "missing" Minuet?
                              Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                                Did you miss the "missing" Minuet?
                                The slow introduction to the first movement made up for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X