Second theme in sonata allegro form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second theme in sonata allegro form

Who first introduced the contrasting second melody in sonata allegro form?
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    Who first introduced the contrasting second melody in sonata allegro form?

Chaszz,
    I am going to make a bold attempt at answering your intriguing question.
    As we know the sonata form was developed during the 18th century and reached its full development during the Classical period. Papa Haydn was one of the early exponents of this form, it was called Sonata allegro because the final allegro movement of a sonata was most often created in this form.
    Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten us a bit more.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 08-20-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Chaszz,
      I am going to make a bold attempt at answering your intriguing question.
      As we know the sonata form was developed during the 18th century and reached its full development during the Classical period. Papa Haydn was one of the early exponents of this form, it was called Sonata allegro because the final allegro movement of a sonata was most often created in this form.
      Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten us a bit more.

It was generally the first movement that was in sonata form, finales tended to be in rondo or sonata rondo, though sonata form does occur, sometimes even in slow movements. C.P.E.Bach is generally credited with sonata form, though other lesser composers probably played a part. In C.P.E. Bach however a secondary subject is not always common. This is also sometimes the case with Haydn's sonata form movements, especially in early works, but it is strikingly the case in the finale of symphony no.103. So I don't think you can say a certain composer first introduced 2nd subjects, these things developed over time.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 08-20-2004).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I agree with Peter on this, I have never heard a particular composer credited with this innovation. Mozart frequently used 2nd and even 3rd subjects, but I have no idea if he was the first, I strongly doubt it. Haydn is known for being monothematic, but there are exceptions to that too, as Peter points out. Of course, Mozart was long dead by the time Symphony 103 was written, so this cannot have been a first either. Frankly, Chaszz, I don't know that there IS a definitive answer for that. When I get home tonight I will poke through some books I have on the subject and see what I can find.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 08-20-2004).]
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~