CPE Bach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPE Bach

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here listened extensively to CPE Bach and could suggest some of his best works.

I own a six-CD set of "Classical Cello Concertos" from Brilliant, containing the Boccherini, Haydn, and CPE Bach concertos. When I first bought it, I thought Bach's first concerto (Wq. 170) was okay, but it didn't really inspire me to listen to his other two.

However, a couple weeks ago I finally listened to the third (Wq. 172), and it's absolutely incredible! I can't believe this is an obscure work, as it's probably the best cello concerto I've ever heard. All three movements are great, but I especially love the slow movement, which almost sounds like a cross between JS Bach and Shostakovich.

Since he appears to be an extremely prolific composer, I was wondering what the best works to start with were. I've borrowed a CD of his Wq. 183 symphonies from the library, but it's literally the only disk available in the county. Thanks!

His symphonies were stressed in my music history course. I quite like them.

Comment

The Wurttemburg and Prussian sonatas are essential CPE - the Wurttemburg are the more original whilst the Prussian influenced Haydn and Beethoven.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Awesome! I'll be sure to check those out. I like the symphonies, too. The lack of a minuet takes some getting used to, but the symphonies I've heard are all quite original.

Comment

Working...
        X