This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I think Roehre is the most knowledgeable person here with regard to 20th century music. I've never even heard of most of the 20th century composers he listens to.
    I think my post came off the wrong way? By no means was I being rude to Roehre - which is the vibe I am getting. I just found it odd that he had not heard of Michael Kamen - but, the reason being is because to my understanding he was living in the late 70's and early 80's etc and so on, and I thought Michael Kamen was a somewhat well known orchestrator and musician, well orchestrator starting somewhat later. He also wrote film scores - so it surprised me, that is all!

I think Roehre has very good knowledge, also, of much of the 20th century contempory classical, at least that is what I understand, .
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Today:

Tallis:
      Magnificat
      Nunc dimittis
      Sancte Deus
      Conditor Kyrie
      Missa a 4
      Benedictus
      Te Deum

Pettersson:
      Concerto for strings no.1 (1949/’50)

Kozeluch :
      Symphony nr.5 in g- minor (1787 !) (R3 : Live in Concert)
      Mozart must have known this symphony, composed and premiered in Vienna in 1787.
      From Kozeluh’s finale Mozart consciously or unconsciously quotes the second subject, which can be heard three times in this mvt, in his own g-minor symphony (no.40 KV550, 1788).
      We not only find this quote back in Mozart’s work, but it shares a similar agitated mood too.

Comment

Horowitz's arrangement of Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever

Sometimes I really get in the mood for these piano arrangements of gigantic pieces that no sane man would attempt to play on a single instrument. In fact, I'm feeling a trip through the Lizst Beethoven symphony arrangements coming on...

Comment

Sometimes I really get in the mood for these piano arrangements of gigantic pieces that no sane man would attempt to play on a single instrument. In fact, I'm feeling a trip through the Lizst Beethoven symphony arrangements coming on...
          Godowsky's arrangements (Schubert et al, Johann Strauss, chopin ) are very inspiring too (that was my experience at least)

Comment

What do you mean "coming on"? On my my part:

Beethoven's piano concerto no. 2, Glenn Gould.
            Albert Roussel's symphony No. 3 (sounds like Prokofiev when he was writing in Paris).

Comment

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
              Albert Roussel's symphony No. 3 (sounds like Prokofiev when he was writing in Paris).
              IMO Prokofiev sounds like Roussel

Comment

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
                What do you mean "coming on"?
                He is saying he is about to listen to them. Because, based on his comment in the post, he was saying he was having a need, or feelings, for the music that he was about to listen to.

That about the best explanation I can give when someone - what does coming on mean, ql, .

Comment

Listening to Bruckner's emotions or feelings from his Symphony 3 (1889) - very moving to me right now. That opening is filled with depth, strength, etc. - though, at the same time, I enjoy it very much.

I listened to Beethoven's 5th tonight, and do believe I felt a much better feeling towards the 1st and last mov.'s I did not listen to the 2nd and 3rd mov.'s though will perhaps later. It is interesting how the first starts in the minor and last ends in the major - particularly regarding that symphony. It is also extremely interesting how Beethoven used the trombones when they were only used for sacred music before that. I know that Eggert, thanks to Hofrat, used the trombone first - though, I highly doubt Beethoven was aware of this (?) - though my point is, Beethoven, imo, probably made proper use of what was once considered the instrument that represents the angels - because I have listened to Eggert - and I think he sucks, so to say (sorry Hofrat, though I feel nothing listening to his music - is there a piece you would recommend), and therefore could not have made proper use of them - and was probably trying to gain sometype of fame or success, by being the 1st to make use of the trombone. While on the other hand, I imagine Beethoven used them strictly for artistic purposes. Beethoven, I think, was a very truthful composer when regarding feelings, etc. - he wrote what he felt on a very deep level - while others what to write. He considered music a higher 'revelation' than all music and philosophy, etc. Simply put, Beethoven's music, imo, is very deep and realistic music.

Sorrano, I would like to buy the 1st mov. of the original 3rd symphony which you said was much longer. I am trying to figure the average length of the original 1st mov., because I would like to buy one of the longer ones, . Would you mind telling me? Also, any recommendations?

I am loving the instrumentation, spacious sounds, depth, feeling, style, etc. of Bruckner's 3rd.
                  Last edited by Preston; 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Preston;

You wrote:
                    "I imagine Beethoven used them [trombones] strictly for artist purposes."

That is absolutely ridiculous! There was no protocol for using trombones in any genre. Mozart used them when he needed to be spooky (Don Giovani and the Requiem). Handel used them when he had them and removed them when he did not (the Handel jubelees). Beethoven was no exception.
                    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

Sorrano, I would like to buy the 1st mov. of the original 3rd symphony which you said was much longer. I am trying to figure the average length of the original 1st mov., because I would like to buy one of the longer ones, . Would you mind telling me? Also, any recommendations?

I am loving the instrumentation, spacious sounds, depth, feeling, style, etc. of Bruckner's 3rd.
                      This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symph...8020347&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

And this is the first recording of the 1873 version, very recommendable, stems btw from a 4LP set from 1983 or so together with the first versions of 4 and 8, the latter AFAIK the first recording as well.
                        Last edited by Roehre; 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                          He is saying he is about to listen to them. Because, based on his comment in the post, he was saying he was having a need, or feelings, for the music that he was about to listen to.

That about the best explanation I can give when someone - what does coming on mean, ql, .
                          Quite right!

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                            Preston;

You wrote:
                            "I imagine Beethoven used them [trombones] strictly for artist purposes."

That is absolutely ridiculous! There was no protocol for using trombones in any genre. Mozart used them when he needed to be spooky (Don Giovani and the Requiem). Handel used them when he had them and removed them when he did not (the Handel jubelees). Beethoven was no exception.
                            No point in getting upset Hofrat. It is not ridiculous it is a honest mistake, in a sense, that is all.

I was under the impression that the trombone was used pretty much used for sacred music, up until the time Beethoven used in it his 5th. Which would mean, or at least seem, that Beethoven most likely felt his symphony sacred and that it called for trombones.

As for artistic purposes, yes I feel that what Beethoven did, used, etc. with his music was because of necessity, per say, and not to make a splash, or a hit, etc., per say.

Thank you Sorrano and Roehre.

Comment

Working...
                            X