X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dario Castello (1590-1658):
    Sonata quarta

It is an interesting piece. The 4 instruments are violin, 'cello, trombone(!), and keyboard. The trombone played fast running passages, doubling the violin.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
      Dario Castello (1590-1658):
      Sonata quarta

It is an interesting piece. The 4 instruments are violin, 'cello, trombone(!), and keyboard. The trombone played fast running passages, doubling the violin.
      I wasn't so sure that the trombone existed at that time, certainly not in it's present form. Might I ask for more specifics on that instrument of that time?

Comment

Today:

Liszt: Hungarian Fantasie

(Philip) Popper: Hungarian Rhapsody

Comment

Beethoven's 5th Symphony on the way to work today. I'm definitely ready to start the day now!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Beethoven's 5th Symphony on the way to work today. I'm definitely ready to start the day now!
            I know that feeling (I think). Piano Concerto no 5 1st movement was my morning-anthem-in-route for a span of time....
            "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              I wasn't so sure that the trombone existed at that time, certainly not in it's present form. Might I ask for more specifics on that instrument of that time?
              Trombones in their present form exist from the mid-1400s onwards.
              Oldest pictures are dating from around 1490 (Filippino Lippi's frescos in the Santa Maria sopra Minerva church in Rome) , but by that time the instrument we now call trombone was mentioned and explained already in 1468 by Olivier de La Marche in his Burgundische Chronik , and in Johannes Tinctoris' De Inventione et Usu Musicae (Naples, published not later than 1487).

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Trombones in their present form exist from the mid-1400s onwards.
                Oldest pictures are dating from around 1490 (Filippino Lippi's frescos in the Santa Maria sopra Minerva church in Rome) , but by that time the instrument we now call trombone was mentioned and explained already in 1468 by Olivier de La Marche in his Burgundische Chronik , and in Johannes Tinctoris' De Inventione et Usu Musicae (Naples, published not later than 1487).
                Thanks!

Comment

Today:

Beethoven:
                  Oboe trio in B-flat opus 11 (R3:TtN)

Barber:
                  Commando march (1942) (R3:CotW)

Harris:
                  Symphony no.3 (1938)

Comment

Now I have to go listen to Ligeti's Lux Aeterna!!
                    So...how was it?

I know what people state that they listen to, but I get more out of what they say they get out it

xoxox

E
                    "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Originally posted by EternaLisa View Post
                      So...how was it?

I know what people state that they listen to, but I get more out of what they say they get out it

xoxox

E
                      Haven't had the time, yet to put it on. Are you familiar with it?

Comment

Sorrano;

The trombone is older than you think. At the time of Castello, the trombone (or sackbut) had a narrower bore and smaller bell than the classical or modern trombone. The sonata quarta that I listened to is on YouTube where you can see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by EternaLisa View Post
                          So...how was it?

xoxox

E
                          I did take some time this morning to listen to the work (youtube). An interesting audio illusion occurred, much like some of the visual illusions where you stare at an image and when you move your eyes you can still see it. When the music ended I could still "hear" it for a minute or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                            Sorrano;

The trombone is older than you think. At the time of Castello, the trombone (or sackbut) had a narrower bore and smaller bell than the classical or modern trombone. The sonata quarta that I listened to is on YouTube where you can see for yourself.
                            There were a couple of works (Castello) with the title "Sonata quarta" on youtube that I checked out, but am not sure they were the correct ones.

Comment

Today:

Turnage:
                              Twisted Blues with Twisted Ballad (R3: lunchtime concert)

Beethoven:
                              Quartet in B-flat Op. 130 (R3: lunchtime concert)

Fitkin:
                              Cello Concerto (R3: Proms repeat)

Zemlinsky:
                              2 movements for string quintet (1896)
                              3 pieces for cello and piano (1891)

Comment

Sorrano;

Try the following:

http://youtu.be/BgMMeK1wTWI

Comment

Working...
                                X