• Show
Clear All

Brahms violin sonata in G op.78
    Sibelius symphony no.1
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today: Britten's Simple Symphony

Comment

All this WoO talk has pointed me in the direction of WoO 30 - 3 Equali for 4 Trombones.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Handel's Water Music Suite No. 3

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            All this WoO talk has pointed me in the direction of WoO 30 - 3 Equali for 4 Trombones.
            All five minutes of it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              All five minutes of it ?
              Yes and no Roehre. Primarily around 2:30 because I have been listening to the 1st mov. Though, I have been listening to it on repeat - so does that mean that I could say - all hours of it - probably not but I wonder? What if it what I felt changed each time - would that count? Anyway, I enjoy it very much - it is slow, pleasant in a sense to my sense, and I like the feeling better, etc. In truth, while I do not understand it - I enjoy listening to it more than the 9th symphony - given the mood of course, and in general for the most part. Besides, 5 minutes in a good/true musical world can be longer than what most experience and feel in a life-age, imo - and I believe that wholly. Heck, I would say with one true note of Beethoven's music is more than most experience - in both time and feeling and anything else -in a life-age, my opinion and belief again. Not that I have felt it though.

Nevertheless, I do not know if you are being some kind of sarcastic ass or not? I apologize for saying that if you are not.

Comment

My apologies Preston, it isn't sarcastically meant, just a humorous observation as the fast majority of lists or even single pieces mentioned in this thread are generally speaking lasting quarters if not whole hours or so, and WoO 30 in that respect is a very notable exception.

It is a pity that these pieces are hardly known. I'd love to hear them played from a place for which they were meant: a church tower/belfry.
                Singular as these three pieces are (though they were immediately identified for their funereal qualities, as these pieces were sung at Beethoven's funeral), it is even more deplorable that a 6 part equale of Beethoven's (also composed in Linz in 1812) is lost.

Btw, do you know Bruckner's Aequales, which are in the same vein as Beethoven's?
                Last edited by Roehre; 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  My apologies Preston, it isn't sarcastically meant, just a humorous observation as the fast majority of lists or even single pieces mentioned in this thread are generally speaking lasting quarters if not whole hours or so, and WoO 30 in that respect is a very notable exception.

It is a pity that these pieces are hardly known. I'd love to hear them played from a place for which they were meant: a church tower/belfry.
                  Singular as these three pieces are (though they were immediately identified for their funereal qualities, as these pieces were sung at Beethoven's funeral), it is even more deplorable that a 6 part equale of Beethoven's (also composed in Linz in 1812) is lost.

Btw, do you know Bruckner's Aequales, which are in the same vein as Beethoven's?
                  My apologies too, Roehre - all is well with that confusion. As for Bruckner's Equali/Aequales (I do not know which is the correct spelling or if they are different forms or whatnot?), no - as I haven't listened to much Bruckner. I have heard his Te Deum (which I did listen to Sorrano, ) though that is about it.

Here is an interesting link - referring to what we are talking about in a pretty close way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aequale

Comment

Equali were a music phenomenon exclusive to Linz. Beethoven never heard one and requested Gloegl to have a few played before him. When was arranged, Beethoven sat down and wrote his WoO 30. Bruckner was a Linzer and most aquainted with the genre.
                    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Today:

Sumera:
                      Symphony no.3 (1988)
                      Intriguing music: (Sibelius + Bruckner +Shostakovich+Pärt) x Adams = Sumera

Anonymus (mid 15C):
                      Missa Veterem Hominem

Comment

Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks (original 1749 version)

Comment

Today:

Maxwell Davies:
                          Naxos-string-quartet no.1 (2002)

Schubert (arr.Liszt);
                          Leise fliehen meine Lieder
                          Erlkönig
                          Ave Maria

Schubert (arr.Zender):
                          Winterreise ("Eine komponierte Interpretation"/A composed interpretation, 1993)

Comment

Schumann - Piano sonata in F# minor Op.11 - this is I think the most interesting of his sonatas, but the finale is overlong.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Schumann - Piano sonata in F# minor Op.11 - this is I think the most interesting of his sonatas, but the finale is overlong.
                              I agree, though IMO it is on par with the original version of the 3rd sonata, the "Concert sans orchestre" op.14 (of which theme and variations as well as the scherzo were swapped or replaced completely for the present middle movts)

Comment

Today: Dvorak's Czech Suite

Comment

Working...
                                X