How do you say "WoO"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you say "WoO"?

Referring of course to the Kinsky-Halm catalog of Beethoven's works without an opus number.
    Werke ohne Opuszahl
    16.67%
    Work(s) without opus number
    16.67%
    Double-you oh oh
    16.67%
    Vee oh oh
    16.67%
    Woo
    33.33%
    Other (Explain)
    0.00%

I must confess that I say it "woo" as in "woo-hoo!". For some reason this gives me endless amusement.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Referring of course to the Kinsky-Halm catalog of Beethoven's works without an opus number.
      double-u - oh - oh (in German: way - oh - oh)

Comment

The same as Roehre - is Beethoven the only composer to have a WoO catalogue? I can't think of others.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

On BeethovenOnly radio they pronounce it as "woo" (as in "making amorous advances"). It certainly saves time in announcing each work.
          Personally, I never thought about how to pronounce it as I never said it aloud.

Comment

I have Brahms' complete solo piano music. Brahms had a few WoO's in that genre. I would imagine there are others amongst his other genres. Not a lot like Beethoven but a few.
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              I must confess that I say it "woo" as in "woo-hoo!". For some reason this gives me endless amusement.
              I do the same thing. It seems I read somewhere years ago, when I was trying to figure out what "WoO" meant, the correct pronunciation was "woo" as in "woo-hoo" - ever since then I have said woo.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                The same as Roehre - is Beethoven the only composer to have a WoO catalogue? I can't think of others.
                As Hofrat rightly writes, Brahms is one of the composers of whose works a catalogue has been produced with WoOs. But there are more: the outputs of
                Schumann, Witt (from Jena-sympohony fame), Schoeck, Draeseke at least are cast in work catalogues in which WoO appears for those works of their's which weren't published with an opus-number.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                  I have Brahms' complete solo piano music. Brahms had a few WoO's in that genre. I would imagine there are others amongst his other genres. Not a lot like Beethoven but a few.
                  Who is playing in your complete set? I also apparently have a complete set played by Julius Katchen - the only thing on it that has no catalogue are the 21 Hungarian dances, but they aren't given a WoO.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Who is playing in your complete set? I also apparently have a complete set played by Julius Katchen - the only thing on it that has no catalogue are the 21 Hungarian dances, but they aren't given a WoO.
                    The Hungarian Dances are WoO 1
                    Scherzo (FAE-sonata) WoO 2
                    2 Gavottes WoO 3
                    2 Gigues WoO 4
                    2 Sarabandes WoO 5
                    51 Etudes WoO 6
                    Chorale prelude and Fugue WoO 7
                    Fugue a-flat minor WoO 8
                    Prelude and Fugues WoO 9-10
                    Missa canonica WoO 17 & 18
                    Songs WoO 19-30
                    Volkslieder (Folk songs) WoO 31-38

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      The Hungarian Dances are WoO 1
                      Scherzo (FAE-sonata) WoO 2
                      2 Gavottes WoO 3
                      2 Gigues WoO 4
                      2 Sarabandes WoO 5
                      51 Etudes WoO 6
                      Chorale prelude and Fugue WoO 7
                      Fugue a-flat minor WoO 8
                      Prelude and Fugues WoO 9-10
                      Missa canonica WoO 17 & 18
                      Songs WoO 19-30
                      Volkslieder (Folk songs) WoO 31-38
                      Thanks Roehre - when was this WoO catalogue for Brahms done?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks Roehre - when was this WoO catalogue for Brahms done?
                        The first time I came across them, was in an updated reprint (as book: The New Grove Late Romantic Masters, 1985) of the New Grove's article re Brahms.
                        They are taken from:
                        McCorkle, M.L.,
                        Johannes Brahms - thematisch-bibliographisches Werkverzeichnis,
                        Henle Verlag, Munich, 1984 (an impossibly expensive catalogue )

Comment

Working...
                        X