Hoboken-Verzeichnis - The catalogue of Haydn's works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoboken-Verzeichnis - The catalogue of Haydn's works

It is easy to find the standard lists of works by Beethoven, Mozart, and other composers online, but it does not seem to be so easy to find the Hoboken-Verzeichnis, the standard catalogue of Haydn's works. I have only found one place that seems to have it:

http://infopuq.uquebec.ca/~uss1010/c...ydn/hayfj.html

It is a French webpage, but it is easy enough to navigate. Unfortunately, the page recently went offline. Fortunately, however, you can still view it at http://www.archive.org, with their "WayBack Machine", a service that allows you to view archived copies of old webpages.

I don't have anything special to say about it, I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, as it has been a useful resource for me in exploring Haydn's music, and since the page has gone dead, I wanted to make a note of the URL and of a way to continue to access it.

All I can say is that I find the Haydn catalogue utterly confusing and unmemorable!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

By "unmemorable", do you mean you find it difficult to remember which Hob. numbers are assigned to which pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        By "unmemorable", do you mean you find it difficult to remember which Hob. numbers are assigned to which pieces?
        Yes and then there are the Peters and Augener catalogues to add to the confusion. So the C minor piano sonata for example is either HobXVI 20 or Augener no.32 or Peters no.25! It needs simplifying, or perhaps I'm just too lazy, but it never goes in like the opus numbers for Beethoven or even Koechel for Mozart.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually, I rather like it because it is clearly organized into the different types of compositions, much like the BWV for Bach, which I find more useful than a chronological organization.

Comment

Working...
          X