Happy Birthday Ludwig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Ludwig!

Anyone doing anything special for our birthday boy? Tonight (as I will have more time) will watch a Bernstein performance of the "Eroica" from a Bernstein DVD collection.

He'll be two years short of 250 tomorrow!

Comment

I will be singing and playing the organ in a local Festival of Lessons and Carols. There is no Beethoven in the program, but hopefully his spirit will be with us in our performances!

Comment

Thanks I didn't know it was today

Comment

Here is a short humorous item on the pronunciation of Beethoven which reminded me of one of my visits to Bonn, when I got talking to a local man who spoke excellent English (as opposed to my non-existent German) This gentleman kept pronouncing Beethoven as in beetroot (which makes sense as "van Beethoven" translates literally as "from the beet field".)

When I asked him if that was the way they pronounced his name in his native city, he shrugged and said (phonetically) "Well, Baythoven" as if either version was okay.

http://nwpr.org/post/beets-beethovens-birthday

Comment

Happy Birthday, Beethoven!
            And happy birthday to Anna, my granddaughter who shares his birthday.

Beethoven: 248 years
            Anna: 8 years. (240 to go!)

Comment

Happy Birthday, Ludwig!

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Ludwig!

I never forget to honor this day (a birthday that my grandfather shared, too) and always celebrate it in some way, even if it is silent and all by myself... this time, I celebrated by listening to one of BeethovenĀ“s piano sonatas and hanging the portrait my mother drew of him back on the wall after renovation of the room.

And this following year, by the way, hope to be a little more active here and not just pop out for his birthday to vanish for the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Here is a short humorous item on the pronunciation of Beethoven which reminded me of one of my visits to Bonn, when I got talking to a local man who spoke excellent English (as opposed to my non-existent German) This gentleman kept pronouncing Beethoven as in beetroot (which makes sense as "van Beethoven" translates literally as "from the beet field".)

When I asked him if that was the way they pronounced his name in his native city, he shrugged and said (phonetically) "Well, Baythoven" as if either version was okay.

http://nwpr.org/post/beets-beethovens-birthday
                  I certainly can't beet that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    I certainly can't beet that.
                    As long as you can beetroot to yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X