The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 05-19-2001, 04:11 AM   #1
Joy

Talking Another Beethoven Concert

I'm off tonight to a Beethoven Concert they're performing at one of our Centre for the Arts Building. The program includes:
Opus 10/3 Piano Sonata #7
Opus 110 Piano Sonata #31 and
Opus 57 Piano Sonata #57 (The Appassionata)
I know it's going to be fantastic. I'm really excited about seeing The Appassionata being performed.
Joy
Old 05-19-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
MCS

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great evening, Joy! (Pardon me while I turn green.) Let us know how it turns out.

Mary
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:08 AM   #3
LudwigVBeethoven

Send a message via ICQ to LudwigVBeethoven
Smile

Great recital program, who was the pianist??
Beethoven's Sonata in F Minor, Op. 57 is definately one of the greatest piano sonatas ever written. I am currently working on the piece, and I would agree.
LudwigVBeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:30 AM   #4
Immortal Beloved

Quote:
Originally posted by LudwigVBeethoven:
Beethoven's Sonata in F Minor, Op. 57 is definately one of the greatest piano sonatas ever written. I am currently working on the piece, and I would agree.
I would agree with you.
Immortal Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 02:54 PM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Beloved:
I would agree with you.
And I agree with you

------------------
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 03:22 PM   #6
PDG

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris:
And I agree with you
I agree with both of you (this topic could run & run).............
PDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 01:12 AM   #7
Immortal Beloved

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris:
And I agree with you

Cool! *high fives*
Immortal Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 02:04 AM   #8
Joy

Quote:
The pianist is Caio Pagano. He is one of the music professors here at Arizona State University. They were giving a free concert in the music hall. They give a lot of free concerts here. He played it fantastically. The people gave him a standing ovation.

I have since learned that Caio Pagano is making a concert tour of the United States this summer and will return to his duties on the board of director's this fall at AZ University.
Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 02:38 PM   #9
Chris
Administrator

Talking

Whenever I play the beginning of the Appassionata, it reminds me of the beginning of the (American) National Anthem. Does anyone else hear that? You know, that part that goes "Oh say can you see...?"
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 03:46 PM   #10
dice45

Quote:
Hello,
Glenn Gould would not have agreed with you. For him (TV interview) the Appassionata was utterly ridiculous, a piece of crap and he tried to prove his point by a performance which ai would describe as a nasty, mischievous caricature.

I do not know why he felt compelled to do so.
However, the work tends to be misunderstood more often than other piano sonatas; I heard very few good performances (as is with the Hammerklavier sonata) compared to other LvB piano sonatas.

It is one of my LvB favourites.
Greets,
Bernhard
Old 06-25-2001, 07:29 PM   #11
Bob the Composer

Now that you mention it, Chris, I do hear a connection..... Look! There's a cow that looks like Elvis!!!!!

Gould was somewhat unusual, in that he almost never liked anything that didn't have counterpoint in it. He was obsessed with counterpoint. He once stated that he thought that this one Mozart symphony was terrible, except for a brief section of the last movement where there happens to be counterpoint.

Bob

------------------
I am not a number, I am a free man!

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 08:15 PM   #12
Rod

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
Now that you mention it, Chris, I do hear a connection..... Look! There's a cow that looks like Elvis!!!!!

Gould was somewhat unusual, in that he almost never liked anything that didn't have counterpoint in it. He was obsessed with counterpoint. He once stated that he thought that this one Mozart symphony was terrible, except for a brief section of the last movement where there happens to be counterpoint.

Bob
I presume this most 'unusual' character's favourite was thus Bach? In the one disk of his I have of B's music (variations op34 & 35) he plays as if the whole thing is a joke, and sings throughout! I suppose Gould was classical music's first buffoon, whose jester's hat is now in the posession of 'Kennedy'.

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:20 PM   #13
Claudie MICAULT

Talking

What a concert !
Naturally, opus 110 and opus 57 are gigantic, but I do appreciate highly the 2d mouvement opus opus 10 n°3, with so deep feelings in it....

Glenn GOULD... well, for me he has not always had had his full mind anyway : I do not understand people who put him on the top.
He does not bring me nothing and anyway has nothing to do with BEETHOVEN !!! Sorry if it hurts some of you....

------------------
Claudie
Old 06-26-2001, 04:24 PM   #14
Peter
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
What a concert !
Naturally, opus 110 and opus 57 are gigantic, but I do appreciate highly the 2d mouvement opus opus 10 n°3, with so deep feelings in it....

Glenn GOULD... well, for me he has not always had had his full mind anyway : I do not understand people who put him on the top.
He does not bring me nothing and anyway has nothing to do with BEETHOVEN !!! Sorry if it hurts some of you....

I agree entirely - I'm not too keen on his Bach either, which for me is too clinical.
Dinu Lipati was a greater artist in my estimation - his early death being a tragic loss to music.

------------------
'Man know thyself'
Old 06-27-2001, 05:12 PM   #15
Claudie MICAULT

Smile

I feel happy with your remark : for me too GOULD's BACH is too "clinical" (you have found the right word !!!)
And Dinu LIPATTI !!! I am a fan of him. I have all the old recordings....
Old 06-27-2001, 09:11 PM   #16
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
I feel happy with your remark : for me too GOULD's BACH is too "clinical" (you have found the right word !!!)
Gould is a classic example of an artist being controlled by the recording studio, rather than relating to a live audience. By contrast, isn't it wonderful to listen to Lipatti's last live recording - so sad to think he was seriously ill at the time, yet no hint of it in his playing.

------------------
'Man know thyself'
Old 06-28-2001, 01:55 AM   #17
Rod

Quote:
Well, I personally wouldn't blame Gould too much in this respect, I find Bach rather clinical even in the best of hands - he could have done with a little more of the human touch in his works, but perhaps this is not the Cantor's way. Of course you don't have to look too far to find the most glorious humanity in Baroque music...enter Mr H!!

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-27-2001).]
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:44 PM   #18
Claudie MICAULT

Smile

Yes Rod, I also prefer H. in his vocal music, but I must say I love Bachs's organ and piano works played in a non-mechanical way. If somebody is able to give a sense to a singing line, Bach becomes also interesting and there are singing lines in Bach.... The problem is that a lot of pianists play Bach as "typewriters" and in an intellectual way. Here in Saarbrücken we have the BACH COMPETITION... Well, this year won an Italian with good fingers... but totally unsensible. That put Bach down.
I think for B. and Chopin who studied seriously the "CLAVECIN BIEN TEMPÉRÉ" Bach was also music. B. and Chopin were not at all "typewriters pianists" and that gives an idea about how Bach could be played....

------------------
Claudie
Old 06-29-2001, 12:24 AM   #19
Peter
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes Rod, I also prefer H. in his vocal music, but I must say I love Bachs's organ and piano works played in a non-mechanical way. If somebody is able to give a sense to a singing line, Bach becomes also interesting and there are singing lines in Bach.... The problem is that a lot of pianists play Bach as "typewriters" and in an intellectual way. Here in Saarbrücken we have the BACH COMPETITION... Well, this year won an Italian with good fingers... but totally unsensible. That put Bach down.
I think for B. and Chopin who studied seriously the "CLAVECIN BIEN TEMPÉRÉ" Bach was also music. B. and Chopin were not at all "typewriters pianists" and that gives an idea about how Bach could be played....

I absolutely agree - Bach's music is so expressive and should sing. So many pianists plod through the preludes and fugues, no wonder the music seems dull - I guarantee it is the fault of the pianist not the composer!

------------------
'Man know thyself'
Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #20
Harvey

Saturday Night I attended Beethoven's Missa Solemnis at Hill Auditorium on the campus of the University of Michigan. It was wonderful. All the soloists were very good but IMO the tenor was not the greatest (but I am hard to please liking very few tenors, Florez and Kaufmann being among the few I really like):

Erin Wall (soprano)
Kelly O'Connor (mezzo-soprano)
Matthew Plenk (tenor)
Nathan Stark (bass)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
Michael

This thread covers sixteen years!!!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #22
Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This thread covers sixteen years!!!
Or went missing for 15 years!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #23
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Or went missing for 15 years!
It just proves that what you put up on the internet stays there!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #24
Zevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It just proves that what you put up on the internet stays there!
It just proves that whatever you do, it stays there. (Sorry for getting philosophical...)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: