This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op.46 (Ashkenazy)
    Fantasy on Polish airs (LPO/Claudio Arrau)
    Rondo a la Krakowiak (LPO/Claudio Arrau)
    'Man know thyself'

Whilst I am writing, my son is watching Sleepy Hollow, a horror film about some headless rider or other. The accompanying music is rather interesting: lots of "modern music clichés" in terms of scoring and gesture. I have just grabbed the DVD cover; the composer is ... I can't read it, the print is too small! I'll have to wait until the credits scroll up (I'll tell you all later, I'm sure you can't wait).
    For your information, an example of "modern music cliché" used in film is the fused ensemble effect* with long crescendo and sudden cut-off. This means the composer selects a cluster chord whose dissonance and close part-writing (with heavy use of brass, wind and strings) makes it difficult for the ear to distinguish discrete pitches (other than the outer ones), builds up the crescendo (thereby increasing the psychological tension) to fff and suddenly halts the entire process with a long(ish) silence.

(*) As far as I recall, this term was first employed by Pierre Boulez to describe certain passages in the music of Edgar Varèse.

Comment

I checked the credits, and I'm afraid no composer is mentioned ! Is that possible? The orchestral arranger is, though. Strange, that. My eyesight is poor, I must admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        I checked the credits, and I'm afraid no composer is mentioned ! Is that possible? The orchestral arranger is, though. Strange, that. My eyesight is poor, I must admit.
        You checked the end as well as the begin credits?

Comment

Yes Roehre, I did. I must be mistaken. I'll check again.

Comment

I may have to watch that movie again, just to listen to the music!

Comment

This morning: Copland's Billy the Kid.

Comment

More Bach organ works played by Christopher Herrick:

The Partitas and Canonic Variations (BWV 766-770)

Comment

Schumann: Piano Quartet in Eb Op.47, Piano trio in D minor Op.63 (Beaux Arts trio)
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Rachmaninov:
                    Etudes tableaux opp. 33 and 39

Berlioz:
                    Le Corsaire op.21 (R3:Proms)

Fauré:
                    Pavane op.50 (R3:Proms)

Dusapin:
                    String Quartet no.6 'Hinterland' ('Hapax' for string quartet and orchestra) (2009) (R3:Proms)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                      Today:

Rachmaninov:
                      Etudes tableaux opp. 33 and 39

Berlioz:
                      Le Corsaire op.21 (R3:Proms)

Fauré:
                      Pavane op.50 (R3:Proms)

Dusapin:
                      String Quartet no.6 'Hinterland' ('Hapax' for string quartet and orchestra) (2009) (R3:Proms)
                      Who was the pianist in the Rachmaninov? A friend of mine (Yuri Paterson-Olenich) gave a superb performance of the Etudes Tableau and his recording of them coupled with the rarely performed first sonata was Editor's Choice Gramophone Magazine September 2009.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Who was the pianist in the Rachmaninov? A friend of mine (Yuri Paterson-Olenich) gave a superb performance of the Etudes Tableau and his recording of them coupled with the rarely performed first sonata was Editor's Choice Gramophone Magazine September 2009.
                        Peter, it's Howard Shelley on Hyperion

Comment

This morning:

Surinach: Soleriana
                          Soler:Clavier Sonata #16 in E-Flat

Comment

Bach organ works played by Christopher Herrick:

The Neumeister Chorales (BWV 714, 719, 737, 742, 957, 1090-1120)

It must have been incredibly exciting to discover so many new Bach organ works some years back, when these were found. Not my favorite Bach organ pieces, but I'm glad they were found.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Bach organ works played by Christopher Herrick:

The Neumeister Chorales (BWV 714, 719, 737, 742, 957, 1090-1120)

It must have been incredibly exciting to discover so many new Bach organ works some years back, when these were found. Not my favorite Bach organ pieces, but I'm glad they were found.
                              Yes, it was, and basically coinciding with the Bach (and Handel and Schütz-)-year 1985, which made it even more exciting. As quickly reacting was deemed essential, even a couple of these Neumeister charales, which shortly afterwards turned out NOT to be by JSBach, had been assigned BWV numbers
                              Last edited by Roehre; 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X