Wellington's Siege with Actual Cannons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know there's a discussion of this work on another thread, but this is such a neat vid it deserves a titled thread...

Having seen this video, even with the low quality, I can easily see why this piece was so popular in it's day

The only problem here is that there seems to be more fireworks than is called for I think...
    The Daily Beethoven

Dangerous looking! You could almost hear the music in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Dangerous looking! You could almost hear the music in some places.
      Haha! One wonders if the cannons are actually meant to obscure some of the lackluster writing

Here's a great video of Wellington's Siege with the score timed to match. If you look at the top you can see the indications for "cannon-fire". They look like black and white circular spots. The staffs 5th and 6th from the bottom have trill markings indicating "sustained musket fire"

Starting from HERE.

"So what do you play?"
      "I double on cannonnades and musket fire"

4/6 The 7th Symphony (Color Analysis)
      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Franz Berwald (1796-1868) wrote a battle symphony "The Battle of Leipsig." His sound effects are quite good. One can hear the whistling of the cannon shells before their explosion. Berwald also brings in "God Save the King" but does not develope it like Beethoven did.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
        X