This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

I've been spending a lot of time with the Hammerklavier lately, especially the final movement. I loved this work the first time I heard it, and I never get tired of it. I am still hearing things I never noticed before. Brendel, Barenboim, and Schiff all have interesting things to say about this work, in their playing of it and in their writings and lectures on it. I would love to be able to play it, but I think the final movement will always be beyond my abilities.

It's beyond my abilities to even listen to it - but that doesn't stop me.
    Oddly enough, I have no problems with the Grosse Fuge.

Comment

I just finished listening to this rendition of B's first piano concerto. I quite enjoyed it. I did not, however, watch the accompanying video, being busy balancing my checking and savings accounts at the time.

Earlier this afternoon I heard Schubert's Death and the Maiden quartet as adapted for string orchestra by Gustav Mahler. I think the piece bears the added weight well.

For more useless drivel concerning recently heard music check out the final post in the recently locked prior incarnation of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I've been spending a lot of time with the Hammerklavier lately, especially the final movement. I loved this work the first time I heard it, and I never get tired of it. I am still hearing things I never noticed before. Brendel, Barenboim, and Schiff all have interesting things to say about this work, in their playing of it and in their writings and lectures on it. I would love to be able to play it, but I think the final movement will always be beyond my abilities.
        Ronald Brautigam's is by far the best....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPSdyyIodI[/YOUTUBE]
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post

For more useless drivel concerning recently heard music check out the final post in the recently locked prior incarnation of this thread.
          I like your postings, DP!

This morning:
          Gershwin: "Rhapsody in Blue"
          Grofé: "Mississippi Suite" (1925)

I find Grofe to be very listenable.

Comment

La Sonnambula (Bellini) featuring Mariella Devia as Amina.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This morning:
              Onslow: Wind Quintet, Op 81
              Beethoven: "Fidelio," Op 72

Comment

Today. Mendelssohn's 12 String Symphonies.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This morning heard:

Georges Bizet: Patrie Overture

I will always wonder how his music would have developed had he lived longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    This morning heard:

Georges Bizet: Patrie Overture

I will always wonder how his music would have developed had he lived longer.
                    His melodies always astound me. His "L'arlesienne" Suite contains some of the most beautiful tunes I have ever heard. In spite of its having been done to death, "Au fond du temple saint" is my favourite operatic tune.
                    It's sad to think that the man never lived to realise the success of "Carmen".

I would place him with Schubert among the "dark horses" of music. If they had lived on....................?

I'm sure everybody knows this, but I'll just provide a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tLrPVkfCIQ

Last edited by Michael; 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      His melodies always astound me. His "L'arlesienne" Suite contains some of the most beautiful tunes I have ever heard. In spite of its having been done to death, "Au fond du temple saint" is my favourite operatic tune.
                      It's sad to think that the man never lived to realise the success of "Carmen".

I would place him with Schubert among the "dark horses" of music. If they had lived on....................?

I'm sure everybody knows this, but I'll just provide a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tLrPVkfCIQ

His symphony has been featured on the radio a couple of times recently and it really shows tremendous promise. I think he could have made a big impact on the musical world.

Comment

Speaking of "Dark Horses" of music, we all wonder about Mozart.
                        What about Beethoven? He was only 56 when he died. His last string quartet in F, Opus 135, was never intended to be his final work. Mozart, on the other hand, was convinced his "Requiem" was his last and he was only 35. It's all in the mind.

(Bear in mind that this is being posted by someone who is approaching 70, is trying to keep a young mind, and has yet to compose a symphony. )

Comment

Op. 135 with its existential ending "Must it be... It must be", and the revised ending to the B-flat quartet as a cheerful swan song, is a fitting ending nevertheless. Having left us with what he did, I don't think we should lament too much on lost potential, certainly not to the degree of Mozart and Schubert. In perspective, Mozart died at almost the same age, and Schubert years before, of that of Beethoven when he composed The Eroica. Can you imagine a world without the works of Beethoven post-Eroica? Thankfully the other two were far more prolific.

Comment

Opus 135 does have a certain "rightness" about it as a last work (even though it was followed by the substitute finale for Opus 130). I suppose it really is hard to imagine what more he could have done.

Comment

This morning:
                              Hummel: Septet in C, Op 114, Military

Comment

Working...
                              X