This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    Beethoven's fifth piano concerto again (Arrau). Is it possible that Beethoven writing notes in a paper be responsible for making me allot hours of my day to its hearing. No music in the world should be allowed to make us adopt new gods!
    For a long time my favorite recording was Vladimir Horowitz with Fritz Reiner at the helm of the RCA Victor Symphony. This was the first record that I purchased, using allowance that was intended for clothing. I got scolded good by that, but never regretted the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      For a long time my favorite recording was Vladimir Horowitz with Fritz Reiner at the helm of the RCA Victor Symphony. This was the first record that I purchased, using allowance that was intended for clothing. I got scolded good by that, but never regretted the purchase.
      It's whimsical. I also dilapidated money intended for clothes to buy records and it was the first Beethoven work to heard with delight, on a little radio together with a friend who liked to "analize" music. We used to watch Fritz Reiner with the Chicago Symphony on Sundays on TV in my family. But I have just listened to what I think should be the definitive [always so categorical] Fifth piano concerto version: Collin Davis, London Symphony, Evgeny Kissin. The recording is technically superb, besides. And I now understand music is sound too. I matters.

EDIT: whimsical is intended in a good sense in case it has some inconvenient connotation.

Comment

I bet you didn't he he. I expect you would no longer have the clothing items by now- the LP will be in your collection for good.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

The ninth... from the 87 CD set. It's wonderful!!!
          For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Beethoven Mass in C
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              I bet you didn't he he. I expect you would no longer have the clothing items by now- the LP will be in your collection for good.
              Sad to say that all my records are long gone. They took up too much space and I had hoped to replace the ones I wanted most with CD's. Unfortunately, that didn't happen so I lost a good library. Some day I will pick up that recording of the 5th Piano Concerto; however, there is one I really like, now, and that is by Serkin and Bernstein. I woke up to hear it on the radio (3rd movement) and I was absolutely electrified by the performance.

Last night I was listening to Elgar's The Music Makers.

Comment

Just heard Hummel's 3rd Piano Concerto. It's quite dynamic and reminded me much of Beethoven's first three piano concerti.

Comment

Trawling through the piano sonatas for the umpteenth time. Alternating between Brendel and Kempff.
                  (Beethoven, incidentally. As if you couldn't guess.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Trawling through the piano sonatas for the umpteenth time. Alternating between Brendel and Kempff.
                    (Beethoven, incidentally. As if you couldn't guess.)
                    You must be getting to know them well Michael!

I think Brendel's performances of the last sonatas are amongst the best, although I'm very fond of Myra Hess's Op.109 - exquisite!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:
                      Albinoni: Adagio in g
                      Barber: Adagio for Strings (from Op 11)

(Slow start for the day.)
                      Gershwin: Porgy and Bess Suite

Comment

Were the performers people from the jazz circles, Sorrano?
                        Last edited by Enrique; 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Sad to say that all my records are long gone. They took up too much space and I had hoped to replace the ones I wanted most with CD's. Unfortunately, that didn't happen so I lost a good library. Some day I will pick up that recording of the 5th Piano Concerto; however, there is one I really like, now, and that is by Serkin and Bernstein. I woke up to hear it on the radio (3rd movement) and I was absolutely electrified by the performance.

Last night I was listening to Elgar's The Music Makers.
                          What a shame you lost the LPs.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                            Were the performers people from the jazz circles, Sorrano?
                            The performers were Shi-Hwa Wang, violin and Yu-Jane Yang, piano, the Formosan Duo. I do not know anything about them. Incidentally, you can figure the adagio as being in contrast to the outer movements. But then, again, there are many that stand alone as in the music I heard yesterday.

This morning:

Prokofiev: Three Piano Pieces, Op 59
                            Ibert: "Trois pièces brèves" (1930)

Three must be the number today. Not four, and five is right out.

Comment

This morning:

Hingeston, John: Fantasia
                              Offenbach: "Gaîté parisienne" Suite

Comment

The performers were Shi-Hwa Wang, violin and Yu-Jane Yang, piano, the Formosan Duo. I do not know anything about them. Incidentally, you can figure the adagio as being in contrast to the outer movements. But then, again, there are many that stand alone as in the music I heard yesterday.
                                Thanks a lot. I've had some pleasurable moments because you've made me watch some scenes from it. It was an all-negro cast (1993). Trevor Nunn was the director.
                                Last edited by Enrique; 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X