This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    Right...discovered last night that my Flash was decativated- but I had not deactivated it ( and yet my videos on my portable HD and you tube played)- very odd!!!!
    There have been some Flash updates recently for Windows. Some of these might be related to deactivation on your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      There have been some Flash updates recently for Windows. Some of these might be related to deactivation on your computer.
      Heh I am not on Windows- I am on Linux!

Back to topic.....I am listening to his exquisite Violin Sonata no 10 before sleep..
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Just got a blank dead screen here.

Peter and Michael- does it work for you?
        Sorry to be a kill joy but I would respectively ask if off topic discussions like these are restricted to private messages or posted in the general forum. Thanks.

I'm listening to Beethoven Missa Solemnis / Solti.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:
          Moscheles: "Anticipations of Scotland: A Grand Fantasia", Op 75

Comment

This morning:
            Brahms: Double Concerto in a, Op 102

Comment

I have a recording of that concerto by Oistrakh and Pierre Fournier (whom I could watch once from the first row of the stalls during a rehearsal) and the Philharmonia. Afterwards, I bought another with Oistrakh, Rostropovitch, Szell, but I always preferred the former. It was the first movement that fascinated me.

Comment

The 5th on his radio!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                  I have a recording of that concerto by Oistrakh and Pierre Fournier (whom I could watch once from the first row of the stalls during a rehearsal) and the Philharmonia. Afterwards, I bought another with Oistrakh, Rostropovitch, Szell, but I always preferred the former. It was the first movement that fascinated me.
                  The recording I heard featured Perlman, but the listing does not include the other soloist. Barenboim conducted the Chicago Symphony. My impression of that recording is that it lacked enthusiasm and vitality. I did not catch all of the 1st movement (this was on the radio) but knew immediately that it was Brahms, but wasn't sure which work. I knew it wasn't the Violin Concerto but did not remember that he had composed the Double Concerto.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    The recording I heard featured Perlman, but the listing does not include the other soloist. Barenboim conducted the Chicago Symphony. My impression of that recording is that it lacked enthusiasm and vitality. I did not catch all of the 1st movement (this was on the radio) but knew immediately that it was Brahms, but wasn't sure which work. I knew it wasn't the Violin Concerto but did not remember that he had composed the Double Concerto.
                    A fine ear! Maybe the lack of enthusiasm is Brahms'. Anyways, have a second listening at the first movement by different players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dClh3DmOg0Y

In the photos you will recognize Sir Malcom Sargent's face.

Today, Ravel, Miroirs (piano).

Comment

Just finished listening to my new CD of Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg playing violin. It includes these wonderful works:
                      Mendelssohn: Concerto in E minor
                      Saint-Saens: Havanaise, Introduction and Rondo capricciasa
                      Massenet: Meditation from "Thias"
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                        A fine ear! Maybe the lack of enthusiasm is Brahms'. Anyways, have a second listening at the first movement by different players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dClh3DmOg0Y

In the photos you will recognize Sir Malcom Sargent's face.

Today, Ravel, Miroirs (piano).
                        I will check that out when I get some time; this morning:

Grofé: "Niagara Falls Suite" (1961)

Comment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEhcZmbA6Uo[/youtube]

No data about the orchestra. Later on,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhRyGeyMYg[/youtube]

Performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.5 with the Japan Broadcasting Corporation Symphony Orchestra [NHK - Nippon Hoso Kyokai S.O.] conducted by Wolfgang Sawallisch at Tokyo's Suntory Hall on 17th May, 1987.

It's amazing to think that Arrau was 84 here, no less than the degree up to which Japan has absorbed Western culture. Unfortunately this was recorded alive.

For me, the concerto in E flat represents a giant leap with respect to the earlier ones, in the same way that the Eroica leaves far behind everything done up to that moment.
                          Last edited by Enrique; 05-23-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

This morning:
                            Wagner: "Tristan und Isolde" Love music from acts 2 & 3 (arranged by Stokowski)

Comment

Beethoven's fifth piano concerto again (Arrau). Is it possible that Beethoven writing notes in a paper be responsible for making me allot hours of my day to its hearing. No music in the world should be allowed to make us adopt new gods!

Comment

Beethoven: Piano concerto no. 5, op.73 in E flat major.

Performer: Evgeny Kissin
                                Orchestra: London Symphony Orchestra
                                Conductor: Colin Davis

Avant-garde audiences in that time must have been electrified by this concerto. It bewitches and captivates the soul and elevates it to higher regions. And you feel young again. I'm all the way through Beethoven's (though please don't give me his latest camera music, it's the mature man who has always produced the best! Won't you agree?). [Seriously, it is the heroic tone which conquers you here and is not youth heroic?]

Comment

Working...
                                X