Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, what do you have against Banjo Kazooie?!
    Do I even need to answer that?!

It's a general public vote and unfortunately the Missa Solemnis isn't one of Beethoven's most well known pieces. It should be, but it isn't.
    True, sad but true.

You could make the same case for Fur Elise being 133 spots higher than the Missa Solemnis, but as you can see here, Fur Elise is far more popular and more well known to those who haven't really delved deep into Beethoven's oeuvre. It's also easier listening than the Missa Solemnis, and as such fewer people are as willing to sit down and listen to a one hour twenty minute plus piece of music than a piece that lasts only a few minutes.
    Fur Elise is still a nice work and by the Maestro, so I didn't actually mind which of his would be the winner! MS is a special work and yes, it does take a discerning ear, took me awhile to fully realise its briliance until one day esconced on the couch in one of my gloomy moods it lifted me up. But anyway, one doesn't have to listen to all it at once- it can be listened to in parts just like people do with symphonies!

Well, I think it can be. Whether it is good classical music is another thing entirely. I don't agree that Uematsu's Final Fantasy music is better music than the Missa Solemnis, but I wouldn't say it isn't classical music. Why put limitations on art music like that? Why is Fur Elise any more classical than this? (other than the obvious )
    It is pleasant but hardly classical to me- just pleasant piano music that could easily be pop music if it had lyrics added to it.

If we all liked the same things the world wouldn't be a very interesting place.
    True, one doesn't have to like Rachmaninov, but we can recognise he was brilliant.

A few years ago I disliked classical music ( but only because I had not really heard much of it ) but I still knew the composers were brilliant!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
      Do I even need to answer that?!
      Take it you've never played it then?

Fur Elise is still a nice work and by the Maestro, so I didn't actually mind which of his would be the winner! MS is a special work and yes, it does take a discerning ear, took me awhile to fully realise its briliance until one day esconced on the couch in one of my gloomy moods it lifted me up. But anyway, one doesn't have to listen to all it at once- it can be listened to in parts just like people do with symphonies!
      Yeah, Fur Elise is a nice work, but it's just that, nice. If we're discussing the merits of a piece of music above another, then Fur Elise can in no conceivable way be considered a better piece of music than the Missa Solemnis (and Beethoven would have told you that), just like Banjo Kazooie isn't a better piece of music than the Missa Solemnis. This list isn't meant to be some divine doctrine on classical music, nor does it accurately represent what is the best classical music (such a list would be rather difficult to make, if possible at all). Take it for what it is, a bit of fun.

It is pleasant but hardly classical to me- just pleasant piano music that could easily be pop music if it had lyrics added to it.
      How about this? For the record, I'm not saying it's good classical music, but that some videogame music can abe considered classical music.

True, one doesn't have to like Rachmaninov, but we can recognise he was brilliant.

A few years ago I disliked classical music ( but only because I had not really heard much of it ) but I still knew the composers were brilliant!
      I don't disagree with that.

Comment

Bach - St.Matthew passion / Haydn - 'Nelson' Mass
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
          Take it you've never played it then?

Yeah, Fur Elise is a nice work, but it's just that, nice. This list isn't meant to be some divine doctrine on classical music, nor does it accurately represent what is the best classical music (such a list would be rather difficult to make, if possible at all). Take it for what it is, a bit of fun.

What about "Daisy, Daisy", Hal? And don't tell me your mind is going .....

Comment

Brahms German Requiem - Shaw

Handel's Messiah - Pinnock

Handel's Chandos Anthems

Handel's Music for the Chapel Royal
            For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

This morning:
              Szymanowski: Concert Overture in E, Op 12
              Strauss: "Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks," Op 28
              Bach: "The Short-Tempered Clavier" #4 in D

Comment

Der Messias conducted by Karl Richter 1965.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

His cello sonatas! The whole lot of them..which should take me to dinner time- chickpea curry tonight.

Do you like my new pet? He loves to eat.
                  Last edited by AeolianHarp; 04-26-2014, 04:48 PM.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                    His cello sonatas! The whole lot of them..which should take me to dinner time- chickpea curry tonight.

Do you like my new pet? He loves to eat.
                    Chickpea curry sounds wonderful! Seems there is a food thread around here.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      Chickpea curry sounds wonderful! Seems there is a food thread around here.....
                      LOL..it is..got to start making it now- well actually the chickpeas are curried in a tin ( no nasties in it) from India ( courtesy of the local Indian food store) and I just have to cook some sweet potatoes, onions and vegetables to add to it. Those cello sonatas finished ages ago! Now onto String Quartet no 10!

I always listen to Beethoven when I am cooking!
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Beethoven's 4th Symphony, Joshua Bell and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields. Got it yesterday, new in the shrink wrap, for $2 USD at a used booksale. The disc also includes the 7th.
                        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

I finally began ripping the CDs from my complete Beethoven set. It's much easier now that I am on Linux vs. windows as the program on Linux will find the track titles.

Anyway, I got through ripping the first 7 CDs, and am listening to the first CD. The first CD is his 1st and 6th symphony. Very good recording so far!
                          For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

I am listening to CD 9 from the set which is the violin concerto (op 61--wonderful), two romances for violin and orchestra (op 40 and 50) and a concerto movement for violin WoO 5.

Comment

Brahms: Symphony no.1 BPO/Karajan.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Complete Beethoven Set, starting with the last disc and moving backward. Am on Disc 83 and enjoying marches (WoO 18, 19, 20) and polonaise/ecossaise (WoO 21, 21) and other wonderful WoO pieces.

Thanks to Rocco for ripping all 87 CDs!

Comment

Working...
                                X