• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Well it came up with all of those.
    Any others?

Comment

Go with the PC2700; it's faster. It's DDR, not 2 or 3, but replacing your current RAM with the PC2700 will make a big difference. You can get a pair of 1GB at a pretty good price, (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_4g...F8&psrk=PC2700).

If you can afford it you might consider getting a newer machine with Windows 7 or 8. Microsoft will end support of XP in the next year, I believe.

Comment

But according to the link I posted above, his chipset is capable of working with DDR2 200mhz or 266mhz.

Am I missing something here?
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
          But according to the link I posted above, his chipset is capable of working with DDR2 200mhz or 266mhz.

You are correct, Preston. I missed your link and was looking at the designations that Chris had.

Comment

Now I'm getting confused - I got the specifications from the HP compaq website itself and for speed it came up like this:
            PC2700/PC2100/PC1600

Does this mean it is compatible with any of those as Sorrano suggests? I'm not sure why Chris asks if there are any other speeds?
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Preston, look again at that link. It is DDR266/200 or DDR 266/200; it is not DDR2. I do not think the older boards will support DDR2.

Peter, the PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 speeds are correct for your board. However, if you plan to go to Windows 7 soon you should get another computer; this board may not support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Preston, look again at that link. It is DDR266/200 or DDR 266/200; it is not DDR2. I do not think the older boards will support DDR2.

Peter, the PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 speeds are correct for your board. However, if you plan to go to Windows 7 soon you should get another computer; this board may not support it.
                Yes that may be the better option, but I'm not one for changing things just because there's a newer model. Will the advantages of Windows 7 be really significant compared to Windows XP? Trouble is as soon as I get Windows 7 along will come Windows 8 etc...!!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

The most significant advantage will be that XP will lose support in the coming year, especially with the release of Windows 8. Win 7 is much, much more efficient than XP, and once you get used to it, I think you'll find it easier to use.

Comment

The most significant advantage will be that XP will lose support in the coming year, especially with the release of Windows 8. Win 7 is much, much more efficient than XP, and once you get used to it, I think you'll find it easier to use.
                    Well I've never used Microsoft support anyway - I get all that from everyone here!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm still using Windows XP, and I have no intention of upgrading until there is a good reason to do so.

If you can find 2 GB of the RAM you need, it should be pretty cheap, and it would probably be worth it to see if that gives you what you need in terms of fixing your video problem. Unless you want to do something your computer is too slow to do, I don't see a need to buy a new one.

Comment

Thanks Sorrano! That 2 beside the R through me off! Yes DDR is right. That is quite old. I would recommend a new system. Though Peter, you could try the upgrade of the DDR and see if that helps enough. If not keep then think about getting a new PC.

Peter, Sorrano means updates and upgrades to the software, regarding support.

Also to Sorrano, to my understanding support for Windows XP has long been ended - maybe over a year now?
                        Last edited by Preston; 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM.
                        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

All the updates and such are due to end in April 2014 (see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ucts/lifecycle). Mainstream support has ended already, as Preston mentioned. Feasibly, Peter could extend the life of his computer, barring the failure of any other major component, for another year without serious security risks from lack of updates. If it were me my primary concern would be the possibility of motherboard failure vs the cost of upgrading the RAM. Memory is cheap, so that might be the way to go for now.

Comment

I have never downloaded a single update for Windows XP, and I've never had a problem, security or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              I have never downloaded a single update for Windows XP, and I've never had a problem, security or otherwise.
                              You've probably not run as efficiently as you might have. Those updates fix errors in the OS as well as plug potential security leaks. Do you have any of the service packs for XP? It's hard to imagine that you could even operate online without some of the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                Windows XP updates automatically on my PC, but I don't rely on it for security in any case.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X