Haydn Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn Recordings

In another thread, Sorrano asked if there were any Haydn sets that I might recommend. And yes, there are!

Symphonies:
    Complete, Fischer

String Quartets:
    Complete, Kodaly Quartet (Naxos)

Concertos:
    Complete, Naxos
    Missing some works of questionable authenticity, and there are some better recordings of certain pieces, such as the cello concertos by Rostropovich, but a lot of great stuff for a good price here

Baryton music:
    Complete, Esterhazy Ensemble
    Probably for completists only, as no one really plays the baryton anymore and these works are practically unknown now, but I'm so amazed anyone actually recorded all these works (and did so very well) that I had to mention it

Piano trios:
    Complete, Beaux Arts Trio

Piano sonatas:
    Complete, McCabe

Piano concertos:
    Complete, Palumbo
    This is a bit of a different take on the piano concertos than in the Naxos set above, and also includes the divertimenti with piano - this one is probably more for completists, but I mention it because I don't know of any others like it

The Seven Last Words of our Savior on the Cross:
    This is an interesting work. Haydn produced four versions of it.
    Orchestral (original) - Jordan
    Choral - Equilbey (period instruments)
    String Quartet - Included in the string quartets set above
    Piano - Included in the piano sonatas set above

Stabat Mater:
    Pinnock (period instruments)

Oratorios:
    Complete, Naxos (period instruments)
    The Creation and The Seasons are of course two of Haydn's best-known works, and there are many great recordings of them, but Spering's Creation here is one of the finest, in my opinion. I do prefer Gardiner's Seasons to the one here, though. But I recommend this set in particular because of the the third, practically unknown oratorio, Il Ritorno di Tobia. It is a magnificent work, and this recording of it, also by Spering, is excellent.

Masses:
    Complete, Hickox (period instruments)
    Just the last six, "great" Masses, Gardiner (period instruments)

Lieder:
    Complete, Ameling

Operas:
    Eight operas, Dorati
    It's hard to beat the value here, as you get eight of Haydn's best operas for the price of one or two, and these famous recordings by Dorati can't be beaten

Folksong arrangements:
    Complete, Anderson, MacDougall, Haydn Trio Eisenstadt
    Again, I mention this on the basis that it is an incredible achievement (who would have thought anyone would go to the trouble to record all of these?), and the recordings themselves are excellent and the set is a very good value - recommended if you are a completist or a lover of folksongs (if you love Beethoven's, you'll love these too)

Now, there are a couple of series I'd like to mention that came about as the result of the Haydn year 2009:

Naxos:
    You may have noticed that I mentioned above three box sets by Naxos:
    String quartets
    Concertos
    Oratorios (period instruments)
    There are also three other box sets that would serve as good alternatives to my above recommendations:
    Masses (period instruments) - This also contains the Stabat Mater
    Piano sonatas - Excellent playing by Jeno Jando here
    Symphonies - Played by a number of different orchestras

Manfred Huss and the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien:
    Huss and his ensemble (playing on period instruments) have a series of wonderful recordings featuring rarer works by Haydn. These are definitely worth looking into after you have covered the basics.
    Complete Early Divertimenti - Some interesting early works by Haydn
    Three Theatrical Symphonies - Worth getting if you don't want all the symphonies in a box set
    The Complete Overtures - Worth getting if you don't have most of the operas and oratorios, and there are a few works not attached to larger compositions here too
    Philemon und Baucis (a marionette opera) - A nice example of one of Haydn's marionette operas, most of which were lost in a fire
    Music for Prince Esterházy and the King of Naples - The scherzandi, notturni, lira concertos, and baryton octets - Worth getting especially if you would like a sample of baryton music but are not interested in the complete box set above
    Opera at Eszterhaza: Arias, La Circe - Contains a number of arias that Haydn composed to substitute into the operas of other composers, as well as his contributions to La Circe, an opera pasticcio which included music by several composers
    Acide - Haydn's earlist surviving opera

One last thing I'll mention is the Brilliant Classics Haydn Edition. Unlike other Brilliant Classics box sets, this is not a complete set, but it covers almost all the major works. For a very good price it contains the complete symphonies set, the complete baryton music set, and the complete folksongs set that I mentioned above - all first-rate. So if you were planning to get all three of those, just get this instead - you will pay a lower price and get much more music. I'm not crazy about the piano sonatas and piano trios here, as they employ period instruments, and as some of you may know, I am not crazy about the fortepiano. Also, the set is missing some of the masses (not even all of the last six "great" masses are here for some reason). But for the price, this could be a very good place to start, especially if you are interested in the baryton works and folksongs, and don't mind the fortepiano.

Well, I could write a lot more, but I think better stop here! I hope this will serve as a good guide for anyone interested in starting to explore the works of Haydn.

That's a great list, thank you! Now to do some appropriate budgeting and maybe I can expand my Haydn library.

Comment

Nicely put together list indeed Chris. Sorrano, seems you have some good recordings to look forward to, !
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

It's a pity these large box sets don't tend to stay in print for long. To me, that's the big advantage of everything moving toward digital distribution.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the Brilliant Classics edition; at least it's a good start.

Comment

Great - I hope you will share your thoughts about it!

Comment

Excellent posting Chris !

Comment

By luck I was able to get a good deal on the Mozart Birilliant set, but as long as I've liked music I've always had a preference for Haydn and could not always understand the adoration that Mozart had over him. The Haydn set should arrive toward the end of next week, so I'll be looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  Excellent posting Chris !
                  I could only hope to be a fraction as helpful as you have been with your postings on recordings here, Roehre!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    By luck I was able to get a good deal on the Mozart Birilliant set, but as long as I've liked music I've always had a preference for Haydn and could not always understand the adoration that Mozart had over him.
                    Well, I think Mozart reached greater individual heights, but I find Haydn had a superior "average" so to speak. I would not be surprised for those who prefer Beethoven to Mozart, as I do, to prefer Haydn to Mozart as well, at least on average.

It is also worth noting that Mozart and Haydn excelled in different genres. For example, I'd say Mozart was greater than Haydn in operas and concertos, but Haydn was greater than Mozart in symphonies and string quartets. So declaring one greater than the other overall is not necessarily that meaningful, and everyone will have their own opinions anyway. Though I do understand that lovers of Haydn's music will feel he is unjustly underrated compared to Mozart, and I would agree. His presence on the web is far less than Beethoven or Mozart or Bach. Maybe I should start the Haydn Reference Site...

Comment

Notwithstanding that you are not fond of the pianoforte version of the sonatas in the Brilliant set, how would you rate the performance factor of the sonatas contained therein?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Well, I think Mozart reached greater individual heights, but I find Haydn had a superior "average" so to speak. I would not be surprised for those who prefer Beethoven to Mozart, as I do, to prefer Haydn to Mozart as well, at least on average.

It is also worth noting that Mozart and Haydn excelled in different genres. For example, I'd say Mozart was greater than Haydn in operas and concertos, but Haydn was greater than Mozart in symphonies and string quartets. So declaring one greater than the other overall is not necessarily that meaningful, and everyone will have their own opinions anyway. Though I do understand that lovers of Haydn's music will feel he is unjustly underrated compared to Mozart, and I would agree. His presence on the web is far less than Beethoven or Mozart or Bach. Maybe I should start the Haydn Reference Site...
                        I am pretty much in agreement with you. However, in taste, my preference has always gone out to Haydn. It's only recently that I've really discovered the Mozart concerti and have come to appreciate them much more than I did previously. Hopefully, with the Haydn, I will discover some new things that will increase my already high admiration for the composer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Notwithstanding that you are not fond of the pianoforte version of the sonatas in the Brilliant set, how would you rate the performance factor of the sonatas contained therein?
                          I haven't heard them all, but what I have heard has been good. Bart van Oort's recordings at least are very good, though there are four other pianists featured as well. Reviews seem to be good, too.

Comment

My recommendation of String Quartets is by the Los Angeles SQ, on Philips; also, the two 5-cd sets by Mosaïques (op. 20, 33, 51 (the last words), 64, 76 and 77).
                            On the last Masses, Harnoncourt (maybe not in Nelson) and Pinnock are fantastic.
                            For the symphonies, Brüggen's box on Philips is absolutely phenomenal, it has lots of Sturm und Drang and everything from 82-104. I'd also recommend Harnoncourt's recordings with the Concentus Musicus Wien, not for the faint of heart!
                            For the oratorios, Jacobs is great in The Seasons (except for the shot in Autumn), Karajan (!) is very (!) natural (!) and joyous (!); Gardiner and Spering are outstanding in The Creation - Hogwood and McCreesh have big bands in English, one of them will suffice as a fine addition.
                            Harnoncourt's CMW recordings (masses, symphonies, stabat mater) are very colorful, very emotional and always very interesting, but I wouldn't recommend the oratorios with him, also his Nelsonmesse is the version with winds, and I really prefer the one without. Even though it comes with a nice rendition of the Te Deum.
                            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Working...
                            X