X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart 225

This is a very nice-looking (and sounding) new complete Mozart edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzppTsKLyts

Thanks, Michael. Like you, I am a big fan of these kinds of complete editions.

I'm not too sure about the approach taken here. Each genre (e.g. symphonies) has recordings taken from a variety of performers. I can see the appeal of this approach, since you can select the very best individual performances and include a variety of performance styles, but I always enjoy hearing a single take on a genre. For example, I loved the complete sets of the symphonies by Marriner and the complete piano concertos by Brendel in the Philips Complete Mozart Edition. It seems they are also mixing modern and period instruments even within a genre. Again, that is not the way I like to approach complete works.

On the other hand, it looks like there is some fine extra material here. The "self arrangements" and doubtful works look very good. The packaging seems nice too. Not as nice as the Philips Complete Mozart Edition, but much more compact, and with some nice books, too.

I have pretty much everything in this set already, and in recordings I prefer to these, so I probably won't buy this. But if the newly recorded material is available separately, I would definitely buy that.

Comment

It does indeed look like a nice set, but it's a bit pricey for me. I feel complete editions are really great for obscure pieces that you would never hear otherwise, and I have this complete set that I bought almost 10 years ago for those. Generally, these complete editions don't have my favourite go-to performances of the pieces, and, like Chris said above, this set seems a bit scattergun in its approach to a unified Mozart sound, which has its upsides and also its downsides. But from the snippets that I have heard, it all sounds great.

Comment

Awesome! What is the biggest Beethoven set out there? I think no more than half that size.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
          Awesome! What is the biggest Beethoven set out there? I think no more than half that size.
          Exactly. Roughly speaking, Mozart and Bach run to about 200 CDs while Beethoven's output would comfortably fit on 100 or slightly under.
          The DGG Beethoven set came out in 1997 and is hard to find now. Luckily I persuaded the wife to let me get my grimy paws on it!

Comment

Incidentally, when it comes to anniversaries, 225 years is pushing it a bit - even for Mozart. We have had 1991 and 2006 already.
            If I were cynical (God forbid) I would consider it a mere marketing gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              This is a very nice-looking (and sounding) new complete Mozart edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzppTsKLyts
              I still have the complete Mozart Time-Life set of cassettes. However I believe it is not so complete. This forum has had some very informative postings which lead me to believe I have to update/upgrade. Oh yea,.... can I borrow some money?

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                I expect many record labels, including DG are working on their 'complete sets' for 2020.
                Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Incidentally, when it comes to anniversaries, 225 years is pushing it a bit - even for Mozart. We have had 1991 and 2006 already.
                  If I were cynical (God forbid) I would consider it a mere marketing gimmick.
                  True, but if we wait for the next round number, CDs likely won't exist!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    True, but if we wait for the next round number, CDs likely won't exist!
                    I'd say CDs might still be around. I wish I could say the same for myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X