Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okayyyyyy...sitting here marking a Beethoven music sheet ready to try out on my Privia Piano, and got the Staier Diabelli video on in the background and at 28:57- BOOM! Janissary action! Didn't expect that! (XXIV. Var. XXIII. Allegro assai ) Certainly adds to the atmosphere of this.

Now got the local Romas throwing fireworks in the street.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Listening to Rossini's Tancredi opera on a double disc set I got for $2 at a library sale. I love the contra alto, Ewa Podles, voice.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

The traditional New year's day concert from Vienna.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I continue my journey through Brautigam's Mozart sonata/variations set and remain impressed. Heard disk four during supper yesterday. With that disk I enter somewhat familiar territory, being passingly acquainted with KV331 and 332 via Uchida recordings. Hearing KV331 so soon after Staier's Diabelli Variations reminds me that I once read, or heard, that Alla Turca was sometimes performed with Janissary effects. Sadly, an admittedly hasty search at YouTube unearthed no such recording.

I did, however, discover a fascinating video of the Pathetique played on clavichord. The instrument, to my ears, often sounds very like an acoustic guitar in the middle and upper range. In the low register, when keys are being pounded, I get the impression of a Janissary pedal in use, though such is not the case.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, those seeking a more modern virtuosic take on Alla Turca might give this a listen.
          Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
            I continue my journey through Brautigam's Mozart sonata/variations set and remain impressed. Heard disk four during supper yesterday. With that disk I enter somewhat familiar territory, being passingly acquainted with KV331 and 332 via Uchida recordings. Hearing KV331 so soon after Staier's Diabelli Variations reminds me that I once read, or heard, that Alla Turca was sometimes performed with Janissary effects. Sadly, an admittedly hasty search at YouTube unearthed no such recording.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuhSAbQPk7E

I see a familiar name in the comments again
            Last edited by hal9000; 01-02-2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post

Ooooh! What a yummy link. This made my day...likely my week. Even discounting the Janissary effects I love the interpretation. I suspect it is more in the spirit of what might be heard in Mozart's day than many a more straight laced modern performance. And yes, I notice a face amongst the crowd.

Comment

Obviously someone with excellent taste!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

The Clavichord was interesting DP! How about Schubert on an 1838 piano?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVEZ5wDe1wI[/YOUTUBE]

Compare this with a modern Steinway:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxz16D4BlE[/YOUTUBE]

Now don't get me wrong, Zimmerman is a brilliant pianist, but the 1838 piano is VASTLY superior to the sound of the Steinway! The contrast of moods, tones and atmosphere is lost! In the Graf the bass thunders menancingly, against the lightness of the right hand notes. So much is lost with the modern piano!
                  Last edited by AeolianHarp; 01-02-2015, 09:38 PM.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I listened to a number of interpretations of this work at YouTube including, if memory serves, one on fortepiano. None sound as avant garde as hal's link. This is an instance where I prefer the more "modern" piano sound and interpretation.
                    How about this?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRkW6kky-9Y[/YOUTUBE]

Of course I prefer this 1790 piano! I think it sounds even more avant garde! It has more rich tone colours.
                    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 01-02-2015, 10:23 PM.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Staier has also played it on a fortepiano.. This may sound odd, but I prefer the colder and more sterile sound of the modern piano for this piece.

I think you'll enjoy this, Aeolian.

And here's his Alla Turca, with improvisatory additions. I prefer this to Volodos's; it's more in spirit with Mozart while also being a refreshing change.
                      Last edited by hal9000; 01-03-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                        How about Schubert on an 1838 piano?

Now don't get me wrong, Zimmerman is a brilliant pianist, but the 1838 piano is VASTLY superior to the sound of the Steinway! The contrast of moods, tones and atmosphere is lost! In the Graf the bass thunders menancingly, against the lightness of the right hand notes. So much is lost with the modern piano!
                        I'm with you on this one.

I'm listening to Mozart's and Beethoven's Piano Quintets bu Jos Van Immerseel and Octophoros. Wow. I can't find a Youtube link unfortunately.

Comment

I'm with you on this one.

I'm listening to Mozart's and Beethoven's Piano Quintets bu Jos Van Immerseel and Octophoros. Wow. I can't find a Youtube link unfortunately.
                          Glad you liked it hal! I like Mr van Immerseel too.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1WQEsiSqw[/YOUTUBE]
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                            X