No announcement yet.

What is this ornament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, there are no "ornaments" in Boulez. Only his performance directions : "Vif", "Très vif", "Assez vif" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Really? I'm talking about the thing that looks like what these days is called a mordant, placed directly in the staff instead of above the note, and seemingly slurred to that E-flat. I've heard people play it like two quick notes, C and D, leading up to the E-flat, but I don't even know if they were looking at an edition with that thing there.
      Whoops, sorry looking in the wrong place (previous beat) - in fact I think I need glasses as I could hardly see what you were talking about! Roehre is quite right - it is a slide. I think it was first used by Kuhnau around 1689 - gradually during the 18th century it was written out with small notes to replace the sign.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        It looks like you're right, Roehre. This page: http://arts.jrank.org/pages/6256/slide.html indicates it was even used in Beethoven's Op. 135!
        Not in my edition it isn't (Breitkopf & Härtel, undated). This ornament is written out as a double acciaccatura. Did Beethoven use this symbol as you suggest from the link you give above? I don't have access to the autograph scores or sketches. Roehre?
        Last edited by Quijote; 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM. Reason: Typos in Italian spelling

Comment

And as far as I can recall, I have never seen such a symbol used by Beethoven. I accept that I may be mistaken. Show me.

Comment

Beats me. I am almost positive it was never used in any of the piano sonatas or violin sonatas. It would seem like an odd thing for him to employ in such a late composition.

Comment

Quite. Did he ever employ it in earlier periods? I have never seen it in any 'cello writing of his. We need access to the autograph / sketches for confirmation. As a (personal) shorthand, it's possible.

Comment

Working...
              X