This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
    Interesting performance indeed, Peter - thank you for the "heads up" regarding the 'Tangent' piano which is totally new to me. Do you know if the 'Tangent' would have been an instrument known to Beethoven?
    Hello Quijote, good to know you still frequent us from time to time. Yes the instrument was unknown to me also, but according to this article Mozart made a reference to it and apparently it was around in the early 19th century.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_piano
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bach Partita in C minor - Martha Argerich
      Here's a sample of her great playing of the last movement
      [YOUTUBE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFDXNODNyc[/YOUTUBE]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I caught part of the Leonore Overture No. 3 on the radio driving home from work last night. I recognized the piece after about 15 seconds or so, but I knew it was Beethoven after only a few seconds. I find that that happens so often with Beethoven - you know it's him even before you recognize the piece, or even if you don't recognize the piece. His style is unmistakable

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I caught part of the Leonore Overture No. 3 on the radio driving home from work last night. I recognized the piece after about 15 seconds or so, but I knew it was Beethoven after only a few seconds. I find that that happens so often with Beethoven - you know it's him even before you recognize the piece, or even if you don't recognize the piece. His style is unmistakable
          I am with you on that! This morning the radio came on during the slow movement of Beethoven's 7th trio. Immediately, I recognized the composer.

Comment

Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3 - Evgeny Kissin.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              I am with you on that! This morning the radio came on during the slow movement of Beethoven's 7th trio. Immediately, I recognized the composer.
              The 5th Symphony came on a few weeks ago and I was able to identify it after only four notes. Beat that!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The 5th Symphony came on a few weeks ago and I was able to identify it after only four notes. Beat that!
                I might be able to beat that but darned if those notes are just too quick for me.

Comment

Depends which notes

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-hu9yWZRA[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Reminds me of the excellent BBC series from years ago 'Face the music' with Joseph Cooper. Here's a clip which also includes William Walton as guest - at 11'10 you have to identify the music.
                    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYcWln0uQg[/YOUTUBE]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                      Depends which notes
                      Good point - and an interesting idea for a quiz.

A few years ago, on University Challenge, there was a section on classical music in which the contestants were asked to identify a number of well-known symphonic works.

Instead of playing the familiar openings, a short phrase was taken from somewhere within the movement and it was tricky enough.

(Just noticed Peter has put up "Face the Music" which was a great programme many years ago and it uses a similar idea.)

Last edited by Michael; 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

In the USA we had Name That Tune. That was more about identifying songs, though.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12idnUZgyKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          In the USA we had Name That Tune. That was more about identifying songs, though.
                          You mean identifying the ads?

Comment

The dummy keyboard bit in that Face the Music video was impossible for me.

Good point - and an interesting idea for a quiz.

A few years ago, on University Challenge, there was a section on classical music in which the contestants were asked to identify a number of well-known symphonic works.

Instead of playing the familiar openings, a short phrase was taken from somewhere within the movement and it was tricky enough.

(Just noticed Peter has put up "Face the Music" which was a great programme many years ago and it uses a similar idea.)

That sounds like a good idea. I might make my own quiz with fragments of Beethoven pieces. Though, I think you'd probably win .
                            Last edited by hal9000; 08-04-2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Well, I should be able to recognize something by Beethoven - but with me it's usually a case of :"I know that - but what the hell is it?"
                              I'm particularly bad at recognising anything that has been altered slightly. I think Joseph Cooper did something in that line as well on his programme.

Last edited by Michael; 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Gluck-Sgambati: Melodie played by Rachmaninov and recorded from a piano roll using new techniques.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIkhkzXr_DM[/YOUTUBE]
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X