Another Beethoven Concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
    I feel happy with your remark : for me too GOULD's BACH is too "clinical" (you have found the right word !!!)
    And Dinu LIPATTI !!! I am a fan of him. I have all the old recordings....
    Gould is a classic example of an artist being controlled by the recording studio, rather than relating to a live audience. By contrast, isn't it wonderful to listen to Lipatti's last live recording - so sad to think he was seriously ill at the time, yet no hint of it in his playing.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I feel happy with your remark : for me too GOULD's BACH is too "clinical" (you have found the right word !!!)
      And Dinu LIPATTI !!! I am a fan of him. I have all the old recordings....
      Well, I personally wouldn't blame Gould too much in this respect, I find Bach rather clinical even in the best of hands - he could have done with a little more of the human touch in his works, but perhaps this is not the Cantor's way. Of course you don't have to look too far to find the most glorious humanity in Baroque music...enter Mr H!!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-27-2001).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes Rod, I also prefer H. in his vocal music, but I must say I love Bachs's organ and piano works played in a non-mechanical way. If somebody is able to give a sense to a singing line, Bach becomes also interesting and there are singing lines in Bach.... The problem is that a lot of pianists play Bach as "typewriters" and in an intellectual way. Here in Saarbrücken we have the BACH COMPETITION... Well, this year won an Italian with good fingers... but totally unsensible. That put Bach down.
        I think for B. and Chopin who studied seriously the "CLAVECIN BIEN TEMPÉRÉ" Bach was also music. B. and Chopin were not at all "typewriters pianists" and that gives an idea about how Bach could be played....

------------------
        Claudie
        Claudie

Comment

Yes Rod, I also prefer H. in his vocal music, but I must say I love Bachs's organ and piano works played in a non-mechanical way. If somebody is able to give a sense to a singing line, Bach becomes also interesting and there are singing lines in Bach.... The problem is that a lot of pianists play Bach as "typewriters" and in an intellectual way. Here in Saarbrücken we have the BACH COMPETITION... Well, this year won an Italian with good fingers... but totally unsensible. That put Bach down.
          I think for B. and Chopin who studied seriously the "CLAVECIN BIEN TEMPÉRÉ" Bach was also music. B. and Chopin were not at all "typewriters pianists" and that gives an idea about how Bach could be played....

I absolutely agree - Bach's music is so expressive and should sing. So many pianists plod through the preludes and fugues, no wonder the music seems dull - I guarantee it is the fault of the pianist not the composer!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Saturday Night I attended Beethoven's Missa Solemnis at Hill Auditorium on the campus of the University of Michigan. It was wonderful. All the soloists were very good but IMO the tenor was not the greatest (but I am hard to please liking very few tenors, Florez and Kaufmann being among the few I really like):

Erin Wall (soprano)
            Kelly O'Connor (mezzo-soprano)
            Matthew Plenk (tenor)
            Nathan Stark (bass)
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This thread covers sixteen years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                This thread covers sixteen years!!!
                Or went missing for 15 years!
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                  Or went missing for 15 years!
                  It just proves that what you put up on the internet stays there!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    It just proves that what you put up on the internet stays there!
                    It just proves that whatever you do, it stays there. (Sorry for getting philosophical...)
                    Zevy

Comment

Working...
                    X