No announcement yet.

The saddest music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert's "Erkonnig" (the elf king) is very sad.

Comment

"Erlkonig" is actually not the 'Elfking" but the 'Alderking'...like a forest-spirit. 'Elfking" would be 'Elfenkonig'...but I agree with you about the sadness of the piece...gets me every time!

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
        "Erlkonig" is actually not the 'Elfking" but the 'Alderking'...like a forest-spirit. 'Elfking" would be 'Elfenkonig'...but I agree with you about the sadness of the piece...gets me every time!
        This seems to indicate it is indeed "Elf King"...
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
          Very interesting Rut! Especially the part about Beethoven attempting to set it to music but abandoned the effort. Anyone know why?
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
            Firstly, you cannot trust anything that is written on Wikipedia as certain. Secondly, I have read elsewhere (including on Wikipedia) that the translation is "alderking"...I have read this in textbooks as well.

From my music textbook: "'Erlkonig' is King of the Alders, or birches--in effect, a forest troll."..."Erle" in German means Alder. As I said, "Elfen" means elf...I think "Elfking" is an English mistranslation.

So you see how the idea of a forest troll can be mistranslated into an "elf", especially when the German word "Erl" sounds more like "Elf" in English than it does "Alder". Unless someone can substantially prove to me otherwise, it is "Alderking" and not "Elfking"

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              Very interesting Rut! Especially the part about Beethoven attempting to set it to music but abandoned the effort. Anyone know why?
              If I knew I forgot , but you can take a look at what B. did on the "unheard" site, they have the sketch and a completion. It's is quite interesting, because at some points B.'s and S.'s do look alike.

I don't know how many others also tried their hand at the poem, but Loewe did set it to music and you can find it in a CD by Prégardien called "Following Goethe".

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                Firstly, you cannot trust anything that is written on Wikipedia as certain. Secondly, I have read elsewhere (including on Wikipedia) that the translation is "alderking"...I have read this in textbooks as well.

From my music textbook: "'Erlkonig' is King of the Alders, or birches--in effect, a forest troll."..."Erle" in German means Alder. As I said, "Elfen" means elf...I think "Elfking" is an English mistranslation.

So you see how the idea of a forest troll can be mistranslated into an "elf", especially when the German word "Erl" sounds more like "Elf" in English than it does "Alder". Unless someone can substantially prove to me otherwise, it is "Alderking" and not "Elfking"
                The problem with translating it to English is that it forgets that "Erlkönig" is already a translation from Danish.
                Anyway, these sites make and interesting point on the origin of the title and who would be the "Erlkönig". Take a look, it's neither what we are saying:
                http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth09.htm
                http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/inhalt/co/12692/1.html

Comment

There's also a version of the poem set to the music of the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, sung by Sarah Brightman.

Comment

I will agree with the final movement of Tchaikovsky's 6th but say that it is grief covered with syrup and other such goo. (like most of Tchaikovsky's music)

I still maintain that Shostakovich (perhaps by nature, Modernist music) is grief stripped bare and fully exposed -- there is nothing extra here.

Comment

I still maintain that Shostakovich (perhaps by nature, Modernist music) is grief stripped bare and fully exposed -- there is nothing extra here

From Shostakovich so far I only was impressed by his 7th symphony and the beautiful Gatfly music. What can you recommend to me?

Gerd

Comment

Shostakovich's finest symphony is the 10th - it has a wonderfully exhilarating scherzo. I also like the 5th and the piano concertos. The preludes and the preludes and fugues for piano also enjoyable.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Recently I attended a concert where the Phoenix Symphony performed Shostakovich Violin Concerto in A minor. It was very emotional and sounded as if it wore the weight of the world on its shoulders. A good thing that after the Shostakovich they performed Beethoven's 7th Symphony to lighten the mood! You felt a recuperation effect after the anguish of the Shostakovich.
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I would recommend his 5th Symphony, his 9th (both considered "lighter"), his cello concerti, any of his string quartets (but No. 8 in c minor tends to be the most popular).

To be honest, I haven't heard much more than this because the music is hard to get a hold of when one does not have any money to purchase CDs, haha.

Comment

How 'bout the piano concerto by Addinsell. Very sad.

Comment

As a modern example of saddest music I mentioned Bruce Springsteen's Youngstown about the history of a town used for making weapons for war

In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smddc...elated&search=

you find a live accoustic version and here a version with the E-street Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rQ3_kSXoU

I am curious what you think of it.

As for me I feel deeply moved about the sadnes in both music and lyrics...
                                There is no contemporary artist I love as much as Bruce Springsteen (followed by Neil Young and Mark Knopfler)

Gerd

Comment

Working...
                                X